Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Police log for April 15

- In the last five weeks, three women have reported being assaulted by a stranger driving a large white car, according to a press release from Chapel Hill police spokeswoman Jane Cousins.

At 5:30 a.m. Wednesday, a woman in her 20s reported being forced into a vehicle near Legion Road and Europa Drive, where the suspect drove around and attempted to sexually assault her before dropping her off, the report states.

On March 11, a woman in her 50s was picked up in the University Mall parking lot shortly after midnight, taken to a nearby location and sexually assaulted, the report states.

Later that morning, a woman in her 40s reported that she was forced into a car on Fayetteville Road in Durham, taken to an area in northern Chapel Hill and sexually assaulted, the report states.

According to the report, the assailant is described as a 6-foot to 6-foot-2-inch black man, about 45 years old with a medium build and a mustache.

The vehicle used was a mid-’90s, white, American-made car with gray cloth interior and tail lights that go all the way across the back of the car.

Anyone with information about these crimes can call Chapel Hill police at 968-2760 or Crime Stoppers at 942-7515.

Police advise that women should never get into a vehicle with any stranger.

If a vehicle approaches, police recommend that they walk or run away to get help and immediately call 911.

- A Chapel Hill High School student was arrested at noon Wednesday and charged with assault on a teacher, communicating threats and disorderly conduct — all misdemeanors — Chapel Hill police reports state.

According to reports, Marcus Matthews, 18, of 751 Trinity Court B1, became upset with his teacher and tried to enter her classroom with a pair of scissors.

He threatened to “get her” and wrestled with law enforcement officers and others, reports state.

He was taken to Orange County Jail until his mother picked him up, reports state.