Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Relay stays on track

Stadium lights blared, music streamed across campus and hundreds of participants could be seen walking around Fetzer Field as the fourth annual Relay for Life at UNC hit full swing.

Friday’s event brought more than 900 community members and students together to help fight cancer through fund raising and education.

Participants raised more than $119,000 to donate to local hospitals and to fund cancer research — $45,000 more than last year’s total and the most the UNC Relay for Life has ever raised.

“This magnifies the passion people have in the community and on campus to fight cancer and to unite for the cause,” said Amber Alford, event chairwoman.

The University’s Relay for Life is part of a national event sponsored by the American Cancer Society that began 20 years ago.

But the registered participants, volunteers and supporters said they created a diverse community, unique to UNC, that united to help find a cure.

“That was one of our goals this year,” Alford said. “We wanted to show that cancer is something that we all have to fight together.”

The event’s participants split into teams of fund-raisers for the 24-hour event. One member from each team must circle the track at all times.

The teams are the heart of the event, Alford said. Eighty registered this year.

Children ran with footballs Friday and students continuously walked the track alongside older participants who sold drinks to profit the cause.

“We do this every year. We do it in honor of my daughter who is a breast cancer survivor,” said Bev Foster, a Chapel Hill resident who sold drinks outside Eddie Smith Field House.

“We’ve got a team, and we help to fund raise. The old folks like me will go home soon and then we will be back at (6 a.m. Saturday).”

When rain began to fall about 8:45 p.m. Friday, umbrellas popped open and raincoats appeared, but participants continued to walk.

Many festivities were moved into the field house, which looked like a campground with tents, coolers and sleeping bags covering the ground.

But entertainers kept morale high throughout the night. The UNC Gospel Choir performed, and members of the Relay for Life committee recited poems and stories to explain why they participated in the event.

Many participants took part because of personal connections with cancer.

“I’ve known a lot of people (who) have had cancer, and (Relay is) a wonderful cause,” said Jessica Kouba, a sophomore exercise and sports science major. “It’s the least I can do to help raise a little money.”

One of the biggest events of the evening was the luminary ceremony. Although candles were not lit Friday evening because the rain, the names of cancer survivors and cancer victims were read, and a five-minute ceremony was held Saturday afternoon.

“That was the one hour that made the whole event — that was why we relayed,” Alford said.

She added that even though students don’t have to participate in Relay for Life, students should use their time at UNC to serve others.

“If everybody thinks about it, they have a reason to relay,” she said. “Everyone should find some place to serve at UNC. Students should be involved in service. It will come back to you in a good way.”