Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

School disparities discussed

County leaders agree that a major funding gap exists between local school districts.

But they are not so quick to agree about how or when officials should address that disparity.

The Orange County Board of Commissioners discussed Thursday a study by Professor Madeleine Grumet of the UNC School of Education. The study shows a difference in the resources available to the county’s two school districts.

Commissioners originally received Grumet’s Educational Excellence Study last month but were unable to discuss it until Thursday’s work session.

The report showed that a special tax levied by the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools district gave it $12 million more in available funding than Orange County Schools.

But commissioners were quick to point out that this fiscal year might not be the best time to try to close the gap.

“This is going to be the most difficult budget year in the last 18 years I’ve been on this board,” said commissioner Stephen Halkiotis.

Commissioner Valerie Foushee, who previously served on the city school board, added that county leaders first need to see how the state budget will affect the districts.

“I don’t think we can start addressing equity until we are sure on what we are addressing,” she said.

Despite these concerns, Chairman Moses Carey Jr. said, the commissioners still should begin to discuss the topic.

“I think it is incumbent upon us … to put it back on the table for discussion,” he said.

Carey first proposed the idea of merging the districts in 2003 as a way to address the funding gap. Grumet’s study — which included interviews with principals at each school in both districts — stemmed from his request.

Merger proponents say joining the districts will help eliminate funding and service disparities.

But commissioner Alice Gordon told her colleagues that even with a merger, they would still have to hold discussions about funding.

“The bottom line is the bottom line,” she said.

Carey said the results of a report on how the two districts can better collaborate might help commissioners consider Grumet’s findings.

County Manager John Link told commissioners that the results of the School Collaboration Work Group are not yet ready but that the board should expect a progress report at its Tuesday meeting.

Commissioners agreed that time is running out on this fiscal year’s budget process.

Carey said if commissioners are going to discuss equity issues, they need to begin soon.

“We gotta get started, because we just can’t wait.”

The fiscal year’s budget is scheduled to be finalized in May.