Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Campus briefs

New UNC faculty set out on eight-week statewide tour

The University’s Tar Heel Bus Tour embarked from Chapel Hill Monday for the first leg of its eight-week trip across North Carolina.

The tour has been conducted every summer since 1997 to familiarize UNC’s new faculty to the state.

This year 36 new professors, UNC Chancellor James Moeser and Judith Wegner, chairwoman of the faculty, will join the tour.

Participants will learn about the state’s landscape in order to form closer ties between campus departments and to improve relations between the University and N.C. citizens.

Ultimately the tour will span from coastal North Carolina to the Appalachian Mountains.

Participants will visit about a dozen sites including a tobacco farm, a national wildlife refuge near Columbia and a textile plant in Spindale that was shut down in 2003.

University officials to host development forum today

Members of the community are invited to give their input on future development plans for the University today.

A forum will be held from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. in 116 Murphey Hall to solicit feedback on the Master Plan created in 2001.

The forum is an attempt to update the plan as the University embarks on several major building projects.

The master plan serves as a guide for campus development and can be viewed at www.fpc.unc.edu/CampusMasterPlan.