Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Local dispute centers could see budget cuts

A local non-profit agency might be cutting back its services if the N.C. General Assembly approves the proposed state budget.

The Dispute Settlement Center of Orange County provides mediation services to the community through state funding, donations and volunteers.

But a possible 10 percent cut in state funding for the Mediation Network of North Carolina could force the center to reduce the services it now provides.

“I am greatly disturbed by this possible tax cut, and I think it is shortsighted and a mistake,” said Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange.

“These mediation services actually save the state a great deal of money.”

According to the network’s funding report for fiscal year 2005-06, dispute settlement centers saved the state $1.3 million in anticipated court costs in 2004 — approximately $900 per district court.

“We believe that damaging dispute settlement centers through further funding cuts is short-term thinking that is counterproductive,” said Frances Henderson, the executive director of the center.

Henderson said a 16 percent cut in 2001 caused many centers around the state to reduce staff and programs. If approved, the state budget would further cut the already reduced funding.

Founded in 1978, the Dispute Settlement Center was the first community mediation center in the state; the mediation network now operates 22 centers.

The center has offices located at 302 Weaver St. in Carrboro and at 141 W. Corbin St. in Hillsborough.

The Carrboro center provides services for about 3,000 people each year and is available to everyone, regardless of ability to pay, Henderson said.

But if the new budget is approved, some center officials say that lower income citizens might endure the brunt of the cuts.

“The programs for which we don’t charge fees — the ones that reach lower income people — would suffer the most,” Henderson said.

In addition to court prevention benefits, the center offers mediators for families, programs for youth in the Orange County and Chapel Hill-Carrboro City schools and training in conflict resolution for workplaces and organizations.

Henderson said family services, specifically divorce mediation, would be among the first programs to be cut if any state funding is lost.

Executive director of the Orange County Rape Crisis Center, Margaret Barrett, noted the importance of having organizations like the center in the area.

“They really are such an important part of the community in terms of providing skills and advocacy in mediating facilities,” she said.

“They operate in a very efficient manner. I really believe their services are an important contribution to the state’s mediating agency.”