Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Local museum looks for a home

Wicked Burrito may soon be in use

The voices of children might soon fill the air of a downtown building that has sat vacant for five years.

The freshly-painted Wicked Burrito building at 214 W. Franklin St. could become the temporary home of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Children’s Museum.

Planners of the proposed museum currently are pursuing use of the space, said museum co-founder Jonathan Mills.

“Originally we were looking for two to three years’ usage of the space,” Mills said.

He said Lonestar Steakhouse & Saloon Inc., the Wichita, Kan. based company that owns the building, contacted Town Manager Cal Horton to say it would be interested in allowing the museum to occupy the space if organizers could agree to shorter terms.

The Chapel Hill Downtown Economic Development Corporation reignited interest in the property when it raised concerns about the building’s condition earlier this year.

After Lonestar closed the establishment in 2000, the building has remained virtually unused and untouched.

The corporation requested that the Chapel Hill Town Council condemn the property due to it’s condition, but in March Lonestar made some repairs to the building. The corporation has continued to ask, however, that the space be put to use.

Corporation Chairwoman Andrea Rohrbacher said she is pleased with Lonestar’s offer but added that details of the agreement still must be arranged.

“Although their offer is very generous, there are a lot of logistics to be worked out,” she said.

Of particular concern is a stipulation from Lonestar that the tenant must vacate the facility within 30 days when the company wishes to resume use of the building.

“We feel 30 days is extremely short,” Rohrbacher said, adding that the corporation hoped the time period could be extended.

Mills said organizers hope to work out some of the terms but described the possible agreement as a “win-win situation” for both parties.

“This would be a good way for them to keep the space occupied,” he said.

Mills said the idea to create the museum began about a year and a half ago because he and other officials felt that the town, which he dubbed “one of the most progressive education towns,” needed a children’s museum.

Mills said the idea now has developed into a community project with close to 50 volunteers.

He described the museum as an interactive space for young children. A temporary space would allow them to house one or two traveling exhibits and an area to raise funds for a more permanent home.

Several downtown venues have come out in support of housing the museum at this location.

“We’re glad to see something finally go in there; that’s been an eyesore for everybody downtown,” said Robert Poitras, owner of the Carolina Brewery. “We feel that it will help bridge the gap that currently exists between east and west Franklin Street.”