Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Summer sessions see peak in construction

Polk Place next renovation target

There are many positives waiting for students who decide to enroll in summer school at UNC, including smaller classes, warm weather and a relaxed attitude.

But those benefits are accompanied by increased construction that results in noise pollution, path obstruction and eyesores.

University officials traditionally break ground on several construction projects during the summer, hoping to finish them before the majority of students and faculty return in the fall.

One such project is taking place now behind a wall of green-lined chain-link fence in Polk Place, which lies in the heart of campus and in the shadow of South Building.

John Masson, project manager in the University’s facilities planning department, said the construction is an extension of a project to replace an aging steam line that began last summer.

The old steam line had been in place since the 1940s, and the new line eventually will improve hot water and heat delivery to Bynum Hall, Playmakers Theatre, Gerrard Hall and South Building.

Rather than disrupt the daily routine of a larger number of students by continuing the project into the fall, officials opted to split work between the two summers and expect to complete the project on Aug. 5.

Enrollment numbers support that decision. In the first summer session of 2004, there were 7,708 students enrolled, as opposed to 26,778 in the fall of the same year.

But students in summer school don’t enjoy the construction any more than the students would during the fall semester.

Nelson Schwab, a senior dramatic arts major, said he is negatively affected by the construction.

“It changes my route,” he said. “It’s loud and obnoxious. It’s noise pollution, and it seems to expand in the summer.”

But Schwab did say he appreciates the University’s long-term goals, especially the effort to create more green space.

Path obstruction is a common complaint among summer school students.

Tim Shelburne, a sophomore music and math double major and a first-time summer school student, said the amount of campus construction so far this summer is about the same as it is during the school year.

“The construction doesn’t really bother me,” Shelburne said. “I’m just confused about how they can need to do so much construction all the time.”

Trisha Keith, a senior psychology and communication studies double major, said although she notices the fences, she isn’t bothered by them.

“It messes up your walk, and it’s not pretty, but it’s not really a big deal.”