Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Single-car accident claims life of Chapel Hill resident

A fatal car accident that took the life of a Chapel Hill man occurred early Saturday morning in front of the home of a University professor.

Professor Chris Roush of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication said when he came back to his Camden Place home off Homestead Road at about 3:30 a.m. Monday morning a car had crashed into a brick wall in front of his home.

“When we got back there were fire trucks and ambulances on the road,” he said.

“We didn’t actually see that the brick wall had been knocked down until we went up our driveway.”

Mark Deltufo, 49, of 832 Deseret Lane died at the scene of the accident, said Trooper Pam Snipes of the State Highway Patrol.

She said he was driving at a high rate of speed, crossed the center road and tried to over-compensate.

At the scene there was no indication that alcohol was involved, she said.

The accident occurred around 1:30 a.m. at the neighborhood entrance in front of two homes, she said.

Council members to finalize agreement with developers

In addition to adopting its budget for fiscal year 2005-06, the Chapel Hill Town Council will address a variety of topics at its Monday meeting.

Council members are slated to adopt a resolution authorizing exclusive rights to negotiate with Ram Development Company for the development of phase one of the lots 2 and 5 project.

Council members are also set to adopt a resolution establishing pay raises for town employees.

The meeting is schedule to begin at 7 p.m. at Town Hall.

Village Project to propose alternative to Carolina North

An alternative plan for Carolina North, the University’s proposed satellite campus, will be presented Wednesday by the Village Project.

The presentation will be from 7 to 9 p.m. at Town Hall.

The alternative master plan incorporates the views of the Village Project, local residents and the University’s Mission and Strategic Plan.

The Village Project is a nonprofit organization based that promotes sustainability.