Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Community program to open

CarolinaPros offers athletic mentoring

An eclectic group of restaurateurs, business owners and residents help make up the unique composition of downtown Chapel Hill.

Soon the Franklin Street family will be joined by new members: Tar Heel lettermen.

At a press conference Tuesday, Lonestar Steakhouse & Saloon Inc., owners of the Wicked Burrito building at 214 W. Franklin St., announced that it will be allowing the nonprofit organization CarolinaPros, Inc. to occupy the space for free.

“I think it’s a positive location,” said CarolinaPros member and former UNC basketball player Joseph Forte after the conference. “It’s right across the street from Granville.”

King Rice and former Los Angeles Lakers player Rick Fox, both graduates of the University, established the organization to bring together UNC basketball players to perform community service and volunteer work.

“The organization recognizes that while athletes can be role models both on and off the court or field, a strong community support system is an integral part of a child’s academic and social environment,” the organization’s Web site states.

Angela Lee, a member of the group’s board of directors, told the group gathered for the press conference that the organization has been operating out of her house and that she is excited about the new location.

“It’s a ‘Wow,’” she said. “I feel that we are very fortunate.”

Representatives from Lonestar on hand at Tuesday’s gathering handed over the key to the building and told Lee that CarolinaPros can move in as soon as they want.

“You can move in tonight,” said William B. Greene Jr., board chairman for Lonestar.

The new tenants will bring new life to the building that has sat vacant about five years.

The building still is filled with reminders of the former Mexican restaurant that once occupied the space with colorful murals of bulls decorating the walls.

This year, the Chapel Hill Downtown Economic Development Corporation pushed for Lonestar to put the space to use. A group hoping to establish a children’s museum for Chapel Hill and Carrboro first expressed interest in occupying the site.

During the press conference, Greene said he was sorry for letting the building lapse into poor condition. Lonestar had the building painted in the spring due to concerns from the town about its deteriorating state.

“We’d like to apologize to Chapel Hill,” he said. “If we had known the state of this building, we would not have let it deteriorate.”

Though Lonestar has a stipulation that the occupants must vacate within 30 days if the company decides to begin using the space again, Greene told the audience that Lonestar did not have any plans for the building right now.

“I can assure you that we’re delighted to have CarolinaPros in this building.”