Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Organic store makes local debut

Earth Fare opens in Chapel Hill

Local organic food shoppers can now be even choosier now.

Earth Fare, the Asheville-based organic and health food supermarket, opened its new Chapel Hill store Wednesday morning.

The new store puts more emphasis on naturally-grown produce than other retailers, stocking conventional produce only when organic varieties are unavailable, said Troy DeGroff, director of sales and marketing.

Among Earth Fare locations, the Chapel Hill store’s offerings of American artisanal cheeses and organic meat and seafood are the largest so far for the chain.

Some attractions were inherited from A Southern Season, the previous tenant of the property.

What was once the Weathervane restaurant is now an outdoor dining area where Friday wine tastings will be held.

The community room will be used for cooking and belly dancing classes and health lectures. The space is open to the public, and nonprofits can use it for free, DeGroff said.

DeGroff acknowledged the existing competition in the local organic food market, but not only are supermarkets used to having competitors nearby, the demand for organic food is also on the rise, he said.

Local specialty-product retailers include Whole Foods Market in the Village Plaza shopping center and Weaver Street Market in Carrboro. Both stores expect a short-term impact in their sales because of the “curiosity factor” surrounding the new store’s opening.

In the long term, “It becomes a Chapel Hill problem — traffic and parking,” said Lisa Smith, marketing specialist at Whole Food Market’s Chapel Hill location. “People will go to the store that makes them happiest, probably the one they can get to.”

And if more supply leads to more demand for organic foods, everyone will benefit, she said.

Weaver Street Market’s competitive edge comes from being a community cooperative, said General Manager Ruffin Slater, citing a “strong loyalty factor.”

Slater said co-op members recognize that Weaver Street’s profits stay within the community and are not siphoned away as is the case with chains like Earth Fare.

Slater agreed that demand keeps climbing. “We carry all that we can get in terms of locally-grown organic produce, and there’s not enough production,” he said.

Earth Fare is evidence of the growing popularity of organic and natural foods, said Tony Kleese, executive director of the Carolina Farm Stewardship Association.

“Earth Fare is opening within a block of Whole Foods Market,” he said. “They’re not going to do that without very clear market data.”

Locals are already curious about what the new store will bring.

Karen Mitchell of Chapel Hill, who said she often shops at Whole Foods, had heard on the radio about the new store’s cafeteria-style deli.

“I definitely will check it out.”