Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Stores face renovation

Could see outdoor veranda, escalator

With months of planning already in their rearview mirror, today University planners will take the next step in revitalizing Student Stores.

At least six contractors are expected to submit bids to renovate the facility, a project with about a $7 million budget.

What started as an update to infrastructure and utilities soon became a large-scale upgrade.

After planners realized the massive scope of their initial plans, the project ballooned.

“We decided we might as well go ahead and see what we can do to make the sales area nicer and the shopping experiences better,” said John Jones, director of Student Stores.

Once completed, the building will feature a South Road entrance, increased floor space and a new glass viewing area.

Jones said the project, scheduled to begin in August, will have a huge impact.

“I think we’ll see significant growth in textbook sales and school-supplies sales and in clothing and gift sales,” he said.

He estimated that the renovated facility could yield an additional $1 million a year in revenue, all of which will fund student scholarships and aid.

But while Jones is excited about the construction, he stressed the importance of the bid process.

“We need a contractor who will be able to follow the schedule — who will stay on target — because we’ve designed the remodel around our major book rush periods,” he said.

Operating the store efficiently in the midst of a 16-month project could prove challenging.

That obstacle separates the renovation from other campus construction efforts, said Carole Acquesta, who as project manager will analyze the bids. “The project is very thoroughly phased to accommodate that, and it’s quite elaborately detailed,” she said.

The interior of the store won’t be affected until September when the operation will have to abandon about 75 percent of the first floor, located on South Road, until February, Jones said.

The Pit level won’t be disturbed until next summer, but even then shoppers won’t be inconvenienced, Jones said. “You’ll always be able to buy the full range of goods.”