Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Bookshop closes doors, still plans Potter party

Event to raise funds for store

Though a local bookstore has been forced to close its doors, it’s not leaving without a night of fun and magic.

Branch’s Chapel Hill Bookshop lost its lease in the Village Plaza Shopping Center, but owner Kate Branch still plans on holding a midnight “Harry Potter Pajama Party” this weekend to raise money for the store’s possible reopening and to celebrate the novel’s release.

The store’s landlord, Mark Properties, informed Branch that her lease will not be renewed because of the store’s failure to pay rent.

The store started lagging in rent payments when Branch had to leave in January to care for a sick family member.

Upon her return to the store, Branch worked out a negotiation with Mark Properties to allow for reduced rent.

Mark Properties recently fired all of its employees who dealt with Branch’s situation and the conditions of the rent negotiation fell by the wayside.

Instead of a rent decrease, the landlord added late fees.

The required payments totaled more than $90,000 — a jump of almost $50,000 more than the originally projected amount.

Branch has tried to keep the store open but was finally forced to close the doors last week.

Branch could not be reached for comment, but in a press release she thanked the Chapel Hill community for its continued support.

Though the bookstore has already closed, Branch is planning on celebrating the release of J.K. Rowling’s newest novel, “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.”

Cerebral Hobbies, a neighboring store in the Village Plaza Shopping Center, will host the event that begins at 12:01 a.m. Saturday.

The party is an effort to raise money to reopen the store at another location.

Outside literacy groups, such as Cartoonists Across America in California, are also trying to help Branch by combining the store’s fund-raiser with the pro-literacy campaign.

In an area where large chain bookstores dominate sales, Branch’s was one of only a few independent bookstores in the area.

It is not the only store planning celebrations for the release of the much-anticipated sixth Harry Potter book.

Other area bookstores are also planning special events for the novel’s release.

Barnes & Noble bookstore at Southpoint Mall in Durham and Borders bookstore in Chapel Hill are both having celebrations preceding the start of the novel’s sales. The stores will have activities such as face painting and making wands.

The activities for both stores will start at 9 p.m. and will continue until the customers are eligible to purchase the books at midnight.

With nearly 800 attendees at its last party, Borders store manager Brandon Jaynes expects more patrons of all ages to come.

“Many kids come with their parents, and it makes it quite a family affair.”