Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Latino center celebrates fifth anniversary

El Centro fosters community outreach

When El Centro Latino opened in July 2000, Carrboro Alderman John Herrera — then a board member ­at the center — called the organization a clearing house of information.

Now, as the center celebrates its fifth-year anniversary, executive director Tina Siragusa said it is still just that.

“It’s a place of comfort for the Latino community,” Siragusa said. “It’s also a place where we can give information to the greater community about what’s happening to the Latino community.”

Siragusa said that without the center a gap would divide the Latino population from the rest of the community.

The center is planning an event at the Carrboro Town Commons to celebrate its five years of service.

Though the group officially opened July 15, 2000, the anniversary celebration will be held August 7.

Program director Ben Balderas said the center is planning to hold a festival with representatives from different countries seated at booths.

In addition, food, information, music and performers will be on hand for the attendees’ entertainment.

It was five years ago that the center held a similar kickoff event that drew a crowd of approximately 300.

But the ideas that sparked the creation of the center began with just a few individuals, Siragusa said.

She said locals who were leaders both in the Latino and the greater community came together under a common interest to help alleviate the language barrier.

And the center has grown from there.

Today it provides a number of services, including English as a Second Language courses, legal services, child-care and computer courses, among others.

“The mission of El Centro Latino is to improve the quality of life for Latinos living in and around Orange County by providing educational and social services, advocacy and cultural activities,” the center’s Web site states.

The center estimates that it sees approximately 120 visitors each month.

But the center has faced some bumps in the road since its inception.

Earlier this summer, El Centro reported that it had to raise $30,000 in funding in order to maintain its current level of programming.

Siragusa said that officials at the center still are dealing with the budget crisis, but despite the financial difficulties, that they still have been able to expand their services.

“The quality of services has improved even more,” she said.

El Centro Latino is located at 101 Lloyd Street. More information about the organization can be found at http://www.elcentrolatino.org.