Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Parham set to oversee DEDC

Looking to offer crucial guidance

In four days, Liz Parham will assume the role of executive director of the Chapel Hill Downtown Economic Development Corporation, giving the organization the permanent leadership for which it has been looking.

Andrea Rohrbacher, chairwoman of the corporation, said the director position will provide more continuity to the group’s initiatives, citing lingering programs — such as one that would provide wireless Internet on Franklin Street.

“She will be there to keep all these programs going from start to completion,” she said.

Rohrbacher also seemed hopeful that Parham’s experience will help to revitalize downtown.

“We envisioned her as knowing how to recruit business.”

Parham was hired by the corporation in June after several months of searching and accepting applications. She officially will begin her job Monday and will be at the corporation’s Wednesday meeting.

Parham said she has some ideas for the downtown’s future. But before she pursues any new initiatives, she first wants to know what the community has to say.

“I certainly have ideas on projects and directions that the organization can move in, but the reality is that it’s more important — at this point in the game — what the community has to say,” she said.

Parham said she essentially will be the manager of the corporation that will serve as a liaison for public and private organizations, as well as a primary contact for anything that happens in the downtown vicinity.

Parham sees the downtown as the heart of the community and said the job of the corporation will be to rebuild the downtown.

Parham has worked for more than 20 years on downtown revitalization. For the past 11 years she has served as the executive director of Uptown Lexington Inc.

Parham’s credentials also include executive director of Mainstreet Lenoir, the Uptown Sumter Association and the Old Greensborough Preservation Society.

She graduated from UNC-Greensboro with a Bachelor of Science degree in Interior Design. She was certified at Duke University in nonprofit management.

Until recently, UNC-Chapel Hill marketing professor Nick Didow served as the group’s interim executive director — a role he was tapped for in August.

When the corporation was formed last year, it faced a somewhat rocky beginning.

In November, Bob Epting, the corporation’s former chairman, resigned over what he said was the organization’s misapplication of the N.C. Open Meetings Law.

Dealing with questions of whether it was a public body, the group also dealt with criticism over a lack of direction.

But Rohrbacher seemed confident in Parham’s ability to lead the group, noting that Parham was full of ideas.

“We’re just thrilled to have her joining us,” she said. “She definitely has an excellent record in Lexington.”

Didow also noted Parham’s expertise in the field.

“When I look at her background, I think it’s outstanding,” he said. “The icing on the cake is that she’s local.”

Parham graduated from Chapel Hill High School in 1981.

Beginning at 5 p.m. Monday, Parham will be at the Top of the Hill for a meet-and-greet with Chapel Hill residents.