Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

ALE keeps close watch on weekend activities

As college campuses fill up with wide-eyed freshmen free of parental supervision, Alcohol Law Enforcement officers across the state are stepping up their efforts to curb rampant underage drinking.

Mike Robertson, the state’s ALE director, said district offices are increasing their presence both near campuses and in bars and restaurants, especially those known for serving underage patrons.

ALE officers are more alert at the start of each academic year because of the influx of new students.

“We are mindful that freshmen are on their own for the first time,” said Jeff Lasater, ALE supervisor for District IV, which includes Orange County.

But despite holding jurisdiction on many of the state’s large universities in Chapel Hill, Durham and Raleigh, the 12 District IV agents covering 10 counties plan to operate as normal, Lasater said.

Two ALE officers were assigned to the Chapel Hill area for the weekend. As of Sunday afternoon, there were four alcohol-related citations involving college-aged people during the weekend.

There have been six such arrests at N.C. State University since classes started on Aug. 17.

While the violations will not be overlooked, Lasater said it would require a complaint for an ALE officer to interrupt an on-campus party. Instead, it will be the responsibility of campus police to regulate drinking on school grounds.

Randy Young, spokesman for the UNC-Chapel Hill Department of Public Safety, said there isn’t a special operation in effect for the beginning of the semester. “We’re certainly aware of (underage drinking) and will attend to it.”

Students at universities in other parts of the state, however, will be more carefully monitored.

Diane Chapin, District II supervisor, said additional officers from neighboring districts will be out in the New Bern area, home to East Carolina University.

“We’re trying to greet as many (people) as we can, advising them that drinking underage is illegal,” she said.

Officers will be focusing on illegal outlets, such as keg parties, as well as licensed outlets.

Chapin said her officers would go to a party on campus or in a fraternity house given the appropriate set of circumstances.

“We will go anywhere where there is illegal sales,” she said.

She said she expects to see a lot of fake identification cards during the first few weeks students are back on campus. ALE programs are in place to help business owners spot these forms of ID.

Ronald Kaylor, supervisor of District IX, said the Asheville area, which includes UNC-Asheville, Appalachian State University and Western Carolina University, would see higher enforcement during the first weekend.

“We will assist (in dorms) when called upon,” he said. “But we spend a great deal of time on a keg party.”

He added that they will make an effort to check everyone’s age regardless of the size of the party.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.