Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Congress committees tackle bevy of issues

Student Congress representatives met in committee Tuesday night in the first meetings of the year.

The Rules and Judiciary Committee discussed a resolution that would change the required turnout in student elections.

Currently the Student Code states that a referendum can be placed on the ballot if at least 10 percent of the Student Body signs a petition.

Also, an election is invalid if less than 2.5 percent of the student body casts a vote.

Rep. James Riley told members of the committee that he felt the number should be higher and suggested the 2.5 was a typo for 25 percent.

Several students in the committee voiced concern Tuesday night about how many students should be voting in student elections.

Not all members agree that the number should be raised or what number the percent change should be.

Kris Gould, speaker pro temp, said they should be careful in how high they raise the amount.

He noted that if the amount was too high and it was passed, it would be very difficult to go back.

The issue will be brought before Student Congress during their first meeting of the school year.

Other issues brought before the Rules and Judicary committee included adding an investigative committee.

They also discussed a resolution that removed the student body president’s status as a member of Student Congress.

Members also considered an amendment proposing an investigative public hearing that would allow Congress members the ability to look into issues on campus before passing legislation.

Currently, Congress’ ability to hold public hearings depends on what is already legislated.

In a separate meeting, members of Congress’ Student Affairs Committee discussed their plans for the year.

Committee members wanted to schedule more meetings with University administrators.

They also said their goal was to make the student community more aware of important issues around campus, and members wanted to provide ways for students to become more involved on campus.