Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

District alters office makeup

Each year, students in Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools make the transition from one grade to the next. But this fall, changes also are being made behind the scenes — in the district’s central office.

The school year kicked off Thursday with new faces in four administrative positions.

Their presence could bring change not only in the central office, but in teaching English to non-native speakers and challenging students in classrooms.

Stephanie Knott assumed the role of the assistant superintendent for community relations at the start of the month.

Knott comes from Gaston County Schools, where she was the director of planning and data services. She now has the job formerly held by Kim Hoke, who retired at the end of the last school year after 23 years in city schools.

“I’ve been very blessed to inherit the position that I have,” Knott said.

She said she would like to compile a districtwide annual report on the progress of the school system that would include everything from test scores to district priorities. In addition, she hopes to implement an online survey program.

And she will not be the only one striving for excellence in the district.

Carol Horne moved from Smith Middle School to the district’s central office to become the new coordinator for gifted program curriculum and cultural arts program.

“It’s gone very smoothly from my perspective because there’s a lot of support here,” Horne said.

Horne, who said she has worked with gifted student curricula at the national level, expressed excitement about the possibilities for the district’s gifted education program. “We want to be an innovative district in gifted education,” she said.

The district’s English as a Second Language program also is under new leadership.

Heidi von Dohlen will be the new ESL and dual language curriculum coordinator.

“She has a rich background that she brings to the position,” Superintendent Neil Pedersen said, noting that von Dohlen is bilingual and has spent time abroad.

“I think that she’s learning very quickly, and we’re very happy to have her because that position has been vacant for over a year.”

These recent hirings leave only one vacancy in the central office.

Denise Bowling, formerly the executive director of curriculum and instruction, stepped up as the assistant superintendent for instructional services.

“She knows the district well, and she knows her division very well,” Pedersen said. “We’re really not missing a beat with her assuming these new responsibilities.”

Nettie Collins-Hart, who formerly held that title, left this summer to become the superintendent of Bertie County Schools.