Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Grant funds judicial school

Allows local enrichment of officials

North Carolina magistrates, public defenders and judges soon will be competing with UNC students for parking spots.

The University’s School of Government recently received a $250,000 state grant for the creation of a new judicial college.

Sparked by the findings of a five-year look into the needs of judicial branch education in the state, the college will provide a variety of courses tailored to people with all experience levels and positions in the judicial system.

But before the judges can trade in their gavels for highlighters, much ground work must be done.

“With that amount of money we can get started,” said Thomas Thornburg, associate dean for programs in the government school. “But we can’t create the judicial college that was envisioned.”

The developers plan to ask for more money next year, as they will have a better understanding of what resources they will need.

The government school currently offers a handful of continuing education classes for workers in the judicial branch.

But these professionals often are sent to conferences and schools elsewhere because in-state resources are limited.

“We’ve been doing it for a long time now, but it will really ratchet up the level of program we have to offer,” Thornburg said.

Faculty members in the government school will lead and develop the program, and in the coming months, they will define what areas of judicial education need to be developed.

“What we’re going to do this year is to think hard and talk to our customers,” Jim Drennan, professor in the government school.

With their help, the school will create programs to best fit professionals’ needs.

The proximity of the University to the courthouses in Raleigh is also a perk of the new program, Drennan said.

In the past, the state has sent its judicial workers to conferences all across the country.

“So for the same amount of money it takes for someone to go to (the National Judicial College at the University of Nevada-Reno), we can pay the expenses of six or seven more to come here.”

In addition, the work of a court official is changing all the time, Thornburg said.

With these changes come new demands, and taking the time to deal with a career of this nature and follow new information can be difficult.

“The judicial college is helping them understand new things and helping then adapt to the changes that they must adapt to in their work,” Thornburg said.

“So the idea of the judicial college over time is that you would match what people need over their career experiences.”