Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Leaders won't push for dorm-storming this fall

As November’s municipal elections approach, last year’s controversies surrounding dorm-storming threaten to re-emerge.

But student leaders already have conceded that they will not seek administrators’ permission to register voters in residence halls.

“We still want to have dorm-storming, and we still want to have access to it, but it’s pretty clear at this point the administration isn’t going to bend on it,” said Jeremy Spivey, chairman of VoteCarolina, student government’s voting drive.

Both Spivey and Student Body President Seth Dearmin have said they will not directly challenge administrators’ stance on dorm-storming, which last year almost led to a lawsuit seeking access.

Spivey said he still would consider petitioning state legislators for the ability to dorm-storm.

“I am seriously considering getting a bill proposed,” he said last week.

Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange, has vocalized support for students’ gaining access to residence halls. In March she attended a meeting with student government leaders and administrators.

She cited her support of increased student involvement in politics as a reason for attending.

Administrators have in the past offered alternatives for student groups looking to register student voters.

“We would like to work with VoteCarolina on ways to do registration other than dorm-storming,” said Margaret Jablonski, vice chancellor for student affairs. “Because, again, it’s the same issue whether it’s our student groups or outside parties.”

Students will have access to residence hall lobbies, and they will be able to work directly outside residence halls.

A similar policy was in place last year, but student leaders still campaigned heavily for full access to residence halls.

Former Student Body President Matt Calabria and 40 other student leaders submitted a petition in March to administrators stating their cause. But attempts to sway their stance were unsuccessful.

Spivey said VoteCarolina this year will attempt to distribute voter registration forms in large lecture classes.

Administrators have considered stuffing mailboxes with registration forms.

But because the mailboxes are operated by the U.S. Postal Service, the University cannot access them for such a distribution, said Christopher Payne, associate vice chancellor for student affairs.

Spivey also said he is looking at alternative ways to register voters. “I think we’re going to focus our efforts more on other projects.”

Students are allowed access to residence halls during student elections, but the visits are limited to fixed times during the week.

“We’re trying to minimize the interruptions for students living in the residence halls,” Jablonski said.

Administrators also have cited the possibility that reversing their stance would result in a flood of student groups into the residence halls.

If VoteCarolina is allowed into dorms, religious and political groups could soon follow, they say.

Payne said the superprecinct legislation recently passed by the N.C. General Assembly eases some of the necessity for massive campus registration.

Previously, students who moved between residence halls also had to switch to a new voter precinct — requiring them to update their voter information.

The new legislation will change that, allowing the entire Chapel Hill township to vote anywhere.

“Those are major events which will hopefully result in students’ being more interested in elections and getting out to the polls and voting,” Payne said.

But the changes will not be implemented this election, Orange County Board of Elections officials have said.

The elections board cited a lack of resources and the complications of printing the ballot as reasons that the initiative would be delayed.