Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

New group head signals fresh start

Liz Parham, the new executive director of a local economic development group, says she knows that downtown is the doorstep to Chapel Hill and the University.

But when it’s littered with cigarette butts, chewed-up gum, cardboard and fliers, it can be a turnoff for would-be patrons.

That’s why the Downtown Economic Development Corporation is launching its “Team Up to Clean Up” initiative, just in time for the reopening of Memorial Hall in September — an event that planners say will bring thousands of people from across the country to downtown.

“We want people to stay awhile,” Parham said. “If downtown doesn’t have a good image then people won’t want to come back.”

At Wednesday’s meeting, employees from Chapel Hill’s public works department offered their input about what it takes to keep the heavily-trafficked area clean.

Public Works Director Bill Letteri said merchants and town employees need to work together in order to maintain an attractive downtown.

“This has to be seen as a team effort. Public Works is not going to solve the problem,” he said, suggesting that merchants do periodic cleanups during the day outside of their storefronts.

Betty Maultsby, owner of Lucky Stars on Franklin Street for the past eight years, cited grease odors from garbage bins as a major deterrent to attracting and keeping people downtown. Lucky Stars is closing its doors at the end of the month.

“The condition of the downtown really wears on you,” she said.

One of Parham’s goals since coming to the corporation in July has been to increase communication between the public and the business community.

The corporation was publicly criticized last November for an apparent violation of N.C. Open Meetings Laws. Then-chairman Bob Epting resigned in the wake of the controversy, which stemmed from a corporation decision to close off a meeting about funding for the annual downtown parade.

In spite of a rocky first year, downtown advocates have hailed Parham’s hiring as a fresh start for the group.

During the summer, Parham held a meet-and-greet with Chapel Hill residents at Top of the Hill, and she plans to hold public forums in October to involve the entire community in the perennial issue of downtown revitalization.

Parham is now gathering information about rental rates, vacancies and other issues that affect the economic stability of downtown in order to attack problems that plague area businesses.

“There is usually not just one hurdle for businesses,” she said.

Parham comes to the town with 25 years of economic development experience. She served as the executive director of Uptown Lexington Inc. for the last 11 years.

She said one of the corporation’s strengths is its membership, which includes representatives of the town, the University and merchants.

In July, the board appointed businessman Lex Alexander, owner of 3 Cups, located at The Courtyard shopping center. He replaced University Square owner Betty Kenan, who was appointed to a one-year term.

But Parham said the group will need more than diverse members to tackle downtown problems.

“(The corporation) has established a great partnership, but we need to build on it and make a good program.”

Contact the City Desk at citydesk@unc.edu.