Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

New police substation christened

Local police are expanding their services in the community, and getting a little more elbow room in the process.

Several Chapel Hill residents joined members of the Chapel Hill Police Department on Tuesday for the grand opening of a police substation at Southern Village.

Chapel Hill Police Chief Gregg Jarvies opened the ceremony by addressing the crowd.

“This is going to be such a benefit to those who live in and around the Southern Village area,” he said, noting that the station will be used by the police department’s community services unit.

Chapel Hill Mayor Kevin Foy was also on hand to say a few words.

“One of the great pleasures of being the mayor of Chapel Hill is the extraordinary police department and the pride we have in the police department,” he said.

“I’m really happy that people in this part of town are going to have an opportunity to get to know police officers from Chapel Hill personally.”

Speakers at the ceremony also honored John Fugo and D.R. Bryan, the men who worked with Montgomery Development to create and provide funding for the new substation.

“Having a police department here is something we’ve always dreamed about, really,” Bryan said.

Kevin Gunter, sergeant with the community services division, said creating the new office is a good way for the department to expand its reach.

He added that the department already has an office for the community services division at University Mall, and that another office for the division will make working conditions less cramped.

“We thought a location to the south of town would be a nice addition to that,” he said.

He said that three officers will work at the new station regularly during business hours and that they will be available to help with any concerns in the community.

Gunter said the community services division coordinates services such as neighborhood-watch programs and handling identity theft issues as well as generally being available.

“It’s really any kind of community outreach that we help with,” he said.

Jarvies also emphasized the department’s extended involvement in the community.

“This gives us a presence here in the southern part of the southern part of heaven.”