Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Businesses help, hire displaced evacuees

Online exclusive

N.C. officials are hoping to ease the transition for Hurricane Katrina evacuees relocating to the state by helping to place them in appropriate jobs.

The Wake County Hurricane Disaster Victims Center, which provided services to as many as 465 people, closed Friday. But Jane Martin, spokeswoman for Wake County Human Services, said she doesn't know how many stayed in the area.

"What we have been doing since the shelter has been open is have the (N.C.) Employment Security Commission on site to help evacuees find jobs," she said.

Wake officials held a job fair last week, and the Red Cross has replicated some of the shelter's job search services at a facility in Raleigh.

"That's where evacuees will be directed to," she said.

More than 40 businesses and corporations, including the RBC Center in Raleigh, attended the job fair, which was held specifically for Hurricane Katrina victims but was open to the public.

The RBC Center is looking to hire 45 to 50 evacuees in a variety of positions, said Larry Perkins, assistant general manager for the RBC Center/Carolina Hurricanes.

He said the RBC Center has hired at least three people but is expecting more Tuesday.

The jobs include staffing concession stands, painting and other maintenance jobs.

"We want to be good neighbors," he said. "We want to be good supporters. We want to be able to do our part with this devastation that has affected our nation."

In addition to hiring evacuees, RBC Center officials invited shelter residents to a Carolina Hurricanes game.

"Just the thought of getting out to do something with their families as a group sparked their spirits," Perkins said. "One man was so thankful for the kindness that has been shown by the RBC Center and Carolina Hurricanes. So they are most appreciative."

While businesses like the RBC Center can hire relatively large numbers of evacuees, small businesses are trying to help, too.

Lichtin Corp., a development company, plans to hire one evacuee to do landscaping, said Jeff Smith, executive vice president of the company.

"Instead of just sending money to the Red Cross, we figured we could provide a job that would be more beneficial," he said.

Smith said the company contacted Wake County Human Services and entered the job offer in a database.

The database provides information about jobs as well as offers for other services and items.

"It's everything from hair cuts to furniture," Martin said. "We've had a tremendous output of support and generosity from the community."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.