Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Finance committee considers distribution of funds

Online exclusive

After extensive deliberation Tuesday, the finance committee of Student Congress voted favorably on a bill to allocate $12,050 to the Campus Y.

The funds, if approved at the full Congress meeting Sept. 20, will cover the programming, printing and publicity costs to host a Live 8 event, which would bring awareness about global poverty to the University.

The advocates for human rights committee under the Campus Y will host the event Sept. 30 in Polk place.

Stephen Lassiter, co-president of Campus Y, said members of the organization were inspired by the Live 8 events during the summer.

"We thought we would mimic that effort by raising awareness here at UNC," he said.

The programming fees will cover the cost to hold a satellite conference with Jeffrey Sachs, special adviser to United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan, and the man who spearheaded the U.N. Millennium Development Project.

The event also will include performances by Edwin McCain and several student a capella and dance groups.

Live 8 chairwoman Manisha Panjwani said UNC should be the first campus to initiate an event of this size in an effort to raise awareness about global poverty.

"We want to educate, inspire and initiate change." Panjwani said.

The committee also voted favorably to allocate $1,425 to VoteCarolina, a student voter registration drive. The funds will be used to cover printing costs for Triangle Web printing services for a municipal elections guide that will appear as an insert in The Daily Tar Heel.

Student Congress will vote on the finance legislation at their next full meeting this 7 p.m. Tuesday in room 8 of Peabody Hall.