Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Homecoming of sorts

RALEIGH - Bourbon Street might be empty, but the spirit was very much alive on Hargett Street on Tuesday night as the music and smell of New Orleans floated out the door of Yancy's Juke Joint.

Randolph "Bambi" Linzsey and Dennis "the Menace" Chaney - two evacuees from New Orleans now staying at the shelter in Raleigh - along with members of the band, Electric Church, performed some of their favorite songs as people enjoyed traditional New Orleans cuisine including jambalaya, gumbo, red beans and rice and etouffee.

Linzsey and Chaney are no strangers to the New Orleans music scene.

Meredith Swindell, one of the organizers of the event, got to know Linzsey while putting everything together and learned just how important music is to him.

He and his wife fled to safety in New Orleans, but Linzsey went back home to get his guitar.

That passion was clear in his eyes as he focused on playing his bass guitar and bringing a taste of New Orleans to the Tar Heel state.

Chaney, a keyboard player, said he has played on Bourbon Street many times and even in the House of Blues.

Unlike Linzsey, he was not able to rescue his keyboard. But after visiting the shelter last week, Russ Swindell, district director for U.S. Rep. Bob Etheridge, D-N.C., decided to make sure these musicians had a way to keep playing, encouraging local musicians to donate instruments.

Judy Ratcliffe, her husband and their son Jack came to show their support and get a little taste of New Orleans.

"We wanted to donate some money," Judy Ratcliffe said. "This sounded like a fun, good way to do it."

While Hargett Street is a far cry from the French Quarter, even the New Orleans locals said they almost felt like they were home.

"When you hear the music, it gets rid of all your worries," said John Booth, another hurricane evacuee. "New Orleans music moves your whole body."

Booth had reason to celebrate Tuesday night. He said he finally made contact with one of his daughters three days ago and found out that all of his family members are alive and safe.

The event, organized by members of the Church of the Good Shepherd, collected donations at the door and also circulated the bar with donation boxes.

Both Chaney and Linzsey said they will stay in Raleigh and will continue to play music just like they would if they were back in their hometown.

Jeff Newsom, a part-owner of Yancy's Juke Joint, said the Louisiana men will be performing at a new Cajun restaurant and bar he is opening in Raleigh this fall.

Chaney said he is working with the resources at the shelter to find a place to live and establish his new life in North Carolina.

There now are about 300 people staying at the shelter. They have access to phones and the Internet to connect with loved ones left behind. There also are organizations on-site to help people find jobs and housing if they choose to stay in the state.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.