Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Masala begins week of events

Will feature date auction, dancing

Sounds of hip-hop and Latin music combined with the smells of Indian food in the Pit on Monday to provide students with a truly global experience.

Masala, UNC's umbrella organization for multicultural groups, used the day to kick off its promotional week.

Several of Masala's 15 cultural groups set up tables in the Pit to bring a taste of international experiences to UNC.

Students and faculty lined up at the Association for India's Development table, where they could purchase Indian food from Sitar India Palace.

All of the proceeds from the food sales went to Hurricane Katrina relief.

"We were going to go to Top of Lenoir for lunch, but we figured it would be more exciting to get Indian food and donate to Katrina relief," said senior Whitney LaPlante.

Sophomore Sarah Schuyler sat in the Pit with LaPlante and a take-out container of Indian food.

"I have no clue what it is, but it's really good," she said.

Students were snapping Polaroids at the Organization for African Student's Interests and Solidarity booth while dressed in traditional African attire.

"We brought some of our native attire for people to try on and take pictures," said Abisoye Abisogun, who was working at the booth. "These are all authentic fabrics and garments from Africa."

At the table hosted by Sangam, a South Asian cultural group, students could help themselves to a lollipop with a fact about Asian culture attached to the stick.

They also had the opportunity to play tic-tac-toe by answering questions about Asian culture and geography to earn cut-out X's and O's. Students who won the game received a free mango drink.

The rest of the week is packed with activities sponsored by Masala.

This afternoon, students again will be able to find arts, crafts and games in the Pit, sponsored by Masala groups such as the Black Student Movement, the Asian Students Association, Alpha Kappa Delta Phi and the Arab Students Organization.

Masala also will sponsor a date auction from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Pit. The event will feature members from all 15 of their cultural organizations.

The proceeds from the event will go toward Carolina Covenant, UNC's need-based scholarship program.

Several different cultural dance groups - such as Bhangra Elite, Que Rico and Mezmerhythm - will host dance lessons Thursday afternoon.

As a finale to their week, Masala will kick off Parents' Weekend with a show at 7:30 p.m. Friday in the Great Hall of the Student Union.

The show will feature ten different acts from individual member organizations and will include singing and dancing from the individuals cultures represented.

Admission to the show will be $5, and the proceeds will go to the Live8 benefit concert.