Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Police log

Matthew Daniel Jacken, of 916 Kingsmill Road, was arrested at 8:25 a.m. Tuesday on charges of statutory rape and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, stemming from a July 21 incident, police reports state.

Chapel Hill Police spokeswoman Jane Cousins said Jacken, an acquaintance of the girl, lured her into a vehicle, where he gave her alcohol and forced her to perform a sex act.

Cousins said Jacken was taken to Orange County Jail without bond.

Kenneth Griffin, of 100 W. Rosemary St., was arrested on charges of malicious conduct by a prisoner at 12:10 p.m. Monday at 100 W. Franklin St., according to police reports.

As police arrived at the scene, reports state that Griffin was standing in the street swinging his bookbag at passing cars.

After police confronted him, he yelled at an officer and spat upon him - the basis for the charge, Cousins said. According to reports, Griffin was taken to Orange County Jail on a $2,000 secured bail.

Ronald Lee Bynum, of 309 Mitchell Lane, was arrested on charges of assault with a deadly weapon at 9:50 p.m. Monday, police reports state.

Cousins said a woman showed police a machete she had removed from Bynum's residence and told police he had threatened to kill her with it.

Cousins said Bynum was sent to Orange County Jail with a $300 secured bond.