Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Police look for answers in vandalism incidents

Thurs., Fri., see eight cars affected

A perennial safety issue in Chapel Hill arose again Friday, when police announced that a string of cars have been reported as vandalized.

On Thursday and Friday, Chapel Hill police officers found eight vehicles with broken windows, seven with at least one tire punctured and two cars with both broken windows and punctured tires, according to police reports.

The incidents primarily have been confined to northern Chapel Hill, in the areas near the north end of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

Jane Cousins, the department's spokeswoman, said nothing has been stolen out of the cars that have been vandalized, adding that vandalism happens more often in college towns than other places.

"It's gone on in Chapel Hill for years," she said.

A press release from the department also noted that numerous car windows in the area have been broken with rocks and BBs in recent months.

Art Englebardt, an officer with the community services division of the department, stressed the importance of educating citizens in order to prevent car vandalism.

"We try to educate the people not to leave things in the car, keep the car locked," Englebardt said.

He also said that individuals should park in well-lit areas and avoid parking in the street when possible.

Englebardt also warned against leaving excessive amounts of valuables in unguarded vehicles, including car stereo systems.

"You're talking a lot of money," Englebardt said.

He also said that even visible loose change left in cars can cause problems.

"Thirty cents - that's thirty cents more than they have," he said.

Cousins said police believe some but not all of the instances of vandalism are related.

With no suspects at this time, police are looking to the community for help.

Police are talking to resource officers at local middle and high schools and have contacted area community watch groups to get information about potential suspects.

In addition to talking with residents, police are on the lookout for the vandals. Police may increase patrols in areas where vandalism occurs frequently, Englebardt said.

"We're doing patrols with marked and unmarked cars," Cousins said.

Cousins added that all of the officers in the department are involved in the case.

"Everyone is playing a role," she said.

Police urge anyone with information regarding these incidents to contact them at 968-2760.