Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Relief efforts refocused

The University's Hurricane Katrina relief effort was summed by a single business card Monday afternoon.

Sarah Lamm, coordinator of alumni clubs for the UNC General Alumni Association, shared her knowledge of a friend's empty rental property, available for use by a displaced family.

And Andy Cunningham, a Robertson Scholar, found a home for a New Orleans family he came to know through the scholars program.

After Lamm passed the information of the property on to Cunningham, the family has the opportunity to build a new home.

"Look at what just happened," junior Jen Barry said, reflecting on the monumental impact behind the small gesture.

During a forum in the Great Hall, more than 20 UNC and Duke University students, faculty and medical personnel reviewed UNC's short-term hurricane support while also emphasizing the need for creative and coordinated long-term action.

"Frankly, it's about commitment," said Lynn Blanchard, director of the Carolina Center for Public Service and moderator of the Hurricane Relief Campus Forum. "Moving forward from here will be up to those who are willing to pick up the banner and lead."

Those in attendance came away with a recommendation from Chris Clemens, a professor of physics and astronomy, who is still in the Gulf Coast region.

"Stay with something small for the long-haul," he said via a previously prepared presentation.

Medical assistance aside, help also needs to come in the form of social - not medical - factors, said Renae Stafford, a physician with the UNC Health Care Trauma Program.

Mental health workers for those dealing with anxiety and post-traumatic stress are needed, she said.

"You need to be resilient," Stafford said, "And realize that it's going to affect you in ways that you don't understand."

From the admissions perspective, a national framework now is being established to look at how the high school students from the Gulf will apply to college, since most school records, including transcripts, were lost, said Allison Legge, associate director of admissions.

John Blanchard, senior associate director of athletics, mentioned pairing displaced children in the area with mentors to attend future UNC sporting events through the Carolina Dreams program.

Other ideas - such as spring break trips to clean up the Gulf - surfaced from the forum's small-group discussions. A focus on at-home help was encouraged strongly.

"Pick a family, and make that family your project here," Stafford said. "That's as personal - or even more personal - than going down there on a bus."

University fundraising efforts from the last four weeks total $60,000, said Erica Curry, vice president of the UNC Red Cross club. Of that, at least $19,415 comes from collections at the UNC vs. Wisconsin football game.

"We want to get people to think more strategically about what's going on," said Elaine Tola, program officer for the Carolina Center for Public Service. "Saying you want to do a relief trip is great, but then you need to think of the logistics."