Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Students get intimate with chancellor

VP Johnston moderates first open house of year

Chancellor James Moeser metaphorically patted shoulders, held hands and addressed fears of students Monday at the year's first Chancellor's Open House.

More than 40 students and staff members were given the opportunity to directly present concerns to Moeser in the cozy confines of the John Lindsay Morehead Lounge in Graham Memorial.

Early conversation predominately focused on a proposed change to the way UNC's housekeepers work, but topics shifted after Student Body Vice President Adrian Johnston, who moderated the event, asked that questions regarding the topic be held until the end.

Students' concerns about UNC's plan for globalization then emerged as a topic of discussion.

"Globalization strikes fear in many people's hearts," Moeser said, noting that many students have family members whose jobs have moved overseas. "For this University to be successful, for this state to be successful, we need to be a player on this stage."

He addressed concerns about exchange students both abroad and on campus, pointing to the new Global Education Center under construction as a step forward in welcoming new students to campus and helping send others overseas.

"I think it's all of our task to make international students feel welcome here," he said. "I think one of the results of 9/11 is that America has told the world, 'Go away.'

"What they think about us will be reflective of their experience here."

Moeser also indicated the University's need to be a leader for the state and the UNC system.

"Great nations in the 21st century will not be defined by military power, but by intellectual and economic power," he said.

Moeser also discussed adding gender identity to the University's nondiscrimination policy.

"We simply haven't acted on that, but we haven't closed that door," he said, adding that he wants to include all aspects of human sexuality under the policy.

Concerns about the University's team cleaning plan - where each housekeeper focuses on one specific task - were addressed by Mike Hachey, a member of Student Action with Workers who gave a brief presentation suggesting administrators adopt a team administration plan.

Under the plan, administrators each would be given specialized tasks that they would perform following the guidelines of the team cleaning plan.

"We would not expect our lowest-paid employees to work under conditions which our administration themselves would not work under," Hachey said.

Moeser said he saw both positives and negatives in the plan aside from efficiency and costs.

Student-housekeeper relationships - which he says can be as strong as family for some students - would be hurt, but housekeepers would have the benefit of working at night with others rather alone.

James Alty, director of the Facilities Service Division, said the program will be on trial in one building on campus for 120 days beginning in October.