Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Tradition evolves with time

The houses are unmistakable: each one bears a series of Greek letters on the facade. And each fall, their doors open to hundreds of men and women searching for familial organizations that match their interests.

It's not a new tradition.

"We've been here since 1851," says Jenny Levering, assistant director of fraternity and sorority life. "It's been a lot of tradition."

The Greek culture at UNC began after the Dialectic and Philanthropic societies formed in 1796.

Because the two literary societies were overcrowded, several secret groups began to form on campus, and they were much opposed by the University's faculty and trustees.

In 1851, Delta Kappa Epsilon and Phi Gamma Delta colonized as the first Greek-lettered fraternities at UNC.

In 1885, the University's faculty and trustees approved the recognition of fraternities on the condition that the groups provide the faculty with names of their members and pledge not to use intoxicating liquors at any in-town banquet.

As the University began to admit more students, other groups were formed to meet their needs.

Chi Omega and Pi Beta Phi were chartered in 1923 as the University's first sororities.

In 1928, Zeta Beta Tau chartered as the first Jewish fraternity at UNC. And in 1973, Omega Psi Phi and Delta Sigma Theta chartered as the first historically black fraternities.

New rules, regulations

As the Greek system grew, incidents close to home and across the country prompted changes in rules and regulations by which the Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Council abide.

On the morning of May 12, 1996, a fire at Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house killed five people and injured several others. It was the morning of UNC's commencement.

The tragedy sparked a response from the University community that called for stricter rules for the Greek system.

"It was at Carolina. It happened to us," IFC President Tom Merrihew says. "You can't just be thinking that fire safety is just an afterthought."

Before the fire, each Greek house had its own safety rules. "Now all fraternity and sorority houses are up to the same standard," Merrihew says.

The town of Chapel Hill enacted an ordinance in 1996 that required all fraternity and sorority houses to install sprinklers by fall 2001.

Chapters also must designate a fire marshal who resides at the house, conduct a fire drill each semester and complete self-inspections. Failure to comply results in fines and other penalties.

"I'd rather it be that we have too strong of standards than too weak," Merrihew says.

A state law that became effective in 2003 prohibits any sort of hazing in connection with any University group. Hazing, as defined in the Greek affairs' code of conduct, is the act of engaging in activities that subject an individual or others to risks of physical injury, mental distress or personal indignities.

"The issue that has risen to the surface, not only for fraternities, but for the entire student body is alcohol," says Jon Williamson, executive vice president for the North American Interfraternity Conference. "We try to attack one of society's ills as best as we can."

The fraternity and sorority alcohol policy states that recruitment and mixers between fraternities and sororities are to be alcohol-free. The policy also prohibits common-source containers, such as kegs or punch.

Despite perceived problems, some officials say the system is heading toward one of its better times.

"We're doing well with the number of men (joining)," says Jim Gray, president of the DKE alumni board. "But as always, we're criticized for excess drinking and some issues about pledging."

In 2002, Gray helped re-form the IFC Fraternity Alumni Advisory Committee - a group that works with alumni and campus administrators to help fraternities progress on campus.

"We have made a positive influence by assisting undergraduates and serving as a liaison between undergraduates and the University," says Kurt Gilliland, chairman of the committee.

Ideals remain the same

There's no doubt in some people's minds that the Greek system has changed throughout its long tenure at UNC.

"Even from watching films like 'Animal House,' you get some idea of what fraternities were like then compared to now," says Kit Maclean, president of the Panhellenic Council.

Others say the concepts of fraternities and sororities have remained the same.

"To me, the system has the same ideals today as when I was in school in the '90s," Gilliland says.

The basics of friendship, trust, service and leadership have remained, Williamson says.

"If we get past the rhetoric of words, the goals of a fraternity, the friendships, the working for the good of the community, haven't changed," he says. "Society has changed. Fraternities have adapted to that."

Sororities, though they formed after fraternities, also uphold the same standards for which they were founded, some say.

"The basics of life-long membership, of service, of leadership, those things are still there," says Martha Brown, chairwoman of the National Panhellenic Conference.

UNC Greek life officials say the system is progressing toward an era of excellence.

Almost 500 men have registered for IFC recruitment, which began Sunday. Panhellenic sororities had 419 women join last week.

"I feel like we're on the cutting edge of really starting to do better things with our system," Levering says. "Students are starting to realize the potential they have."

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.