Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

An uphill battle for votes

Advocates seek elusive student voter

Campus organizations are scrambling to reach students as the Oct. 14 deadline for voter registration creeps closer.

Groups such as VoteCarolina, the Young Democrats and the College Republicans are pushing for student involvement in this year's municipal elections, scheduled for Nov. 8.

But unlike last year, there is no one organization leading the charge.

Instead, these groups have organized smaller-scale efforts to try to increase student turnout at the polls. Turnout among voters aged 18 to 22 numbered a mere 329 in 2003.

VoteCarolina, formerly a student government initiative, was at the forefront of the drive for student participation in last year's national election, when some 7,000 students registered.

But after ending its affiliation with student government, VoteCarolina found itself at the beginning of the campaign without the resources, such as office space, that it had last year.

Despite the acclimation to being an independent organization, VoteCarolina President Jeremy Spivey said the group is capable of working on its own.

"It was pretty much an independent venture since the second week," Spivey said.

Calling the dependence on student government "exaggerated," Spivey reaffirmed that the organization is fully capable of getting the word out.

Spivey said he hopes issues, such as those surrounding what to do with vacant building spaces on Franklin Street, will inspire students to vote.

"Chapel Hill is becoming a place where you can eat and drink, and that's about it," he said.

Efforts to get students involved in municipal elections in the past largely have been unsuccessful despite the fact that the 16,000 undergraduates enrolled at UNC make up almost one-third of Chapel Hill's residential base.

"(UNC) is the single largest constituency and also the smallest voting constituency," Spivey said.

He said he is shooting to get 30 percent to 40 percent of already registered students to vote.

In past years, voter-interested groups resorted to dorm storming residence halls in the weeks before elections in order to register more students.

But administrators denounced the practice last year during the presidential election.

Without their greatest weapon, organizations are left to search for new ways to appeal to students.

VoteCarolina recently has received permission to use A-frame sign placards on campus, normally reserved for student body elections.

Billy Constangy, administrative vice chairman of the College Republicans, said he has used facebook.com, a social networking Web site, to send messages to students identifying themselves as conservatives for their support at the polls.

Students have set up shop in the Pit almost every day to try to register students.

The Young Democrats altered their approach to encouraging registration Monday, having not only representatives in the Pit but also scattered around campus areas such as the Rams Head Center, the Student Union, Davis Library and different dorms on South Campus.

There also have been numerous forums on campus to discuss issues pertaining to political platforms.

Last Thursday's forum held by The Daily Tar Heel in Greenlaw Hall was intended to accommodate questions students might have had for Chapel Hill and Carrboro candidates, but turnout barely reached 30.

Peter Tinti, director of campus political affairs and an active member of the Young Democrats, said he is disappointed in the lack of enthusiasm among students.

"It's just not the same buzz as last year," Tinti said.

Last year, a record number of students, fueled by the competition of the presidential election, stampeded to the polls.

"There is not as much interest, but that is not enough of an excuse to not vote," said Blakely Whilden, co-president of the Young Democrats.

Student Body President Seth Dearmin expressed similar sentiments.

"This election is everybody's chance to vote for people who affect us much more directly," he said.

Dearmin said that VoteCarolina's mission for a more politically active student body is one shared by student government.

VoteCarolina representatives sent a letter signed by Dearmin to local businesses encouraging them to provide discounts to customers who have voted.

In their attempts to encourage student participation at the polls, campus leaders also have highlighted the ease and accessibility of early voting.

There are six precincts, some miles away from campus, to which students will have to travel in order to mark their ballots Nov. 8.

If a person chooses to vote prior to Election Day, he or she can visit Morehead Planetarium starting Oct. 24.

"Early voting is extremely important," Dearmin said. "It's a chance for (students) to vote here on campus."

Candidates are trying to appeal to students as well.

Jason Baker, a sophomore at UNC who is running for Town Council, also has used facebook.com to connect to prospective voters.

"Voter registration is only half the battle," he said. "We have to see if people actually make it to the polls."