Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Forum addresses war in Iraq

About 650 people attended a panel discussion Monday on the war in Iraq, sponsored by the Orange County Democratic Party.

The forum was moderated by Jack Sanders, chairman of the Orange County Democratic Party, and featured U.S. Rep. David Price, D-N.C., and Bruce Jentleson, a professor of public policy and political science at Duke University.

"I think it's a shared consensus here to say 'No,' to stay the course (of the war)," Jentleson said.

Some in the crowd affirmed this statement by waving green papers supplied by the OCDP.

Jentleson said the papers - red sheets showed disapproval - allowed the crowd to express themselves and participate.

"It also reduced interruptions," he said.

Tom Henkel, the treasurer of the OCDP, said the papers contributed to a free exchange of ideas between the audience and the panelists.

He said he was pleased with the turnout and the effect it could have on Price. "I think our congressman is getting educated."

There was discussion among panel members about how and when U.S. troops should pull out of Iraq and whether the upcoming Iraqi constitution will solve any problems.

Jentleson said he advocates a time frame instead of a fixed schedule for flexibility in handling unforeseen situations.

But Price advocates holding President Bush to a fixed schedule for leaving Iraq. "The benchmark idea is a way of challenging the president."

Ray McGovern, a former CIA analyst, said the president would not adhere to a timetable. "He thumbs his nose at things like benchmarks."

He added that the Democratic Party needs strong leaders, a statement that was met with the most green paper, applause and whistles of any other statement.

However, Jentleson said after the debate he thinks Price did an excellent job answering questions.

"He conveyed to people that his opinions are heartfelt too," he said.

Price was asked in an audience-submitted question whether he would support a bill in the U.S. House to pull troops out of Iraq by the end of 2006.

He said the bill only would support the American troops and did not mention any help for the Iraq people.

"There's a narrow perspective in this."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.