Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Future of Triangle transit up to study

TTA must prove ridership to continue with planning

If the Triangle Transit Authority is able to meet its series of deadlines, a new rail system could provide an alternative to driving in heavy traffic, helping to connect Triangle residents.

The TTA rail system would connect Raleigh and Durham with trains and a revamped bus system. Eventually, a route would add Chapel Hill to the mix.

Garold Smith, TTA director of communications and public affairs said TTA is requesting about 60 percent of the funding for the now-$689 million project from the Federal Transit Administration. Project costs have increased annually since the regional transit plan was first drafted in the mid-1990s.

To receive full funding, TTA first must prove that the ridership would make the project cost effective.

"(We must show) the relationship between ridership and the benefits associated with that ridership versus the cost of ridership," said Brad Schulz, communication officer for TTA.

He said a ridership study submitted to the FTA in October 2004 showed high ridership and cost effectiveness.

But he added that some of the figures were challenged by the FTA, prompting a new review.

The updated cost effectiveness predictions are due to the FTA by Oct. 14. If the funding is approved, construction will begin within the next year, with the first train scheduled to run in 2008.

A changing community

The population in the Triangle is constantly growing and changing, so the TTA must try to predict that growth when considering ridership.

Schulz said the rail system will provide opportunities for economic development as areas around the stations grow into larger communities.

"More and more people, young professionals and retirees, don't want to live far out," he said. "It's becoming more and more important for people to live close to where they work."

The retiring age group is of particular interest to transportation issues. As people get older they will be less inclined, or able, to drive.

"A larger group of aging drivers is coming soon within the next few years," said Joseph Hummer, a civil engineering professor at N.C. State University. "The first of the baby boomers turn 60 next year, and some time in the 60s eyesight, for one, starts to decline."

He said it is important to have transportation alternatives for these people.

Connecting campuses

Once in place, the rail system would allow students to travel to neighboring schools for academic and social purposes.

Hummer said he thinks there are many students who would welcome the opportunity to be more connected with other schools.

"In our program we have students that would like to take classes in Chapel Hill and can't because of the commutes and parking," he said. "I believe there are students who would like to take classes on our campus but don't because of the length of the commute, and a lot of students don't have access to a car.

"That could help interaction between the campuses."

Schulz said the rail system also would allow students opportunities to interact with other campuses outside of academics.

"It's not just for academics, but for having fun," he said, adding that students could use the system in place of a designated driver for late nights at other schools. Schulz said there will be a station placed in the middle of the N.C. State, N.C. Central University and Duke University campuses.

Existing options

Connecting campuses and providing a safe alternative to students who need to get home after a night at the bars is not a new concept to the Triangle's university communities.

The Robertson Scholars Program has a bus running between UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke University until midnight on the weekends.

Chapel Hill Transit provides its own Safe Ride option for residents Thursday through Saturday nights.

"Safe Ride was introduced because of requests through UNC to give a late night safe ride home after the bars closed," said Jeff Freer, administrative analyst for the town of Chapel Hill's department of transportation. He said it was designed to discourage drunken driving.

Between 210 and 355 people used the Safe Ride buses each weekend during the first three weeks of service.

The Robertson Scholars bus and Safe Ride in Chapel Hill plan to continue operating even after the rail system is in place as long as there is interest in the services.

State & National Editor Kavita Pillai contributed to this article.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.