Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Owners promote West End

Two groups work to enhance image

The Chapel Hill Downtown Partnership serves to improve economic development for downtown Chapel Hill, but two coalitions of West End business owners have banded together to guarantee that the West End isn't overlooked.

A new group founded by Lex Alexander, owner of 3 Cups; Phil Szostak, a Chapel Hill architect; and Tony Sease, a developer, is planning for the future. The group, the West End Collaborative, had its first meeting Monday afternoon.

Discussion began with issues immediately affecting the area, including parking obstacles, a lack of security, poor streetscaping and the absence of a clear West End voice.

"The short-term issue is to take a first step in the planning process and creating a common language for the West End," Szostak said.

One goal of the collaborative is to define boundaries for the West End, including Rosemary Street.

"(It is) easier to see West End separate from downtown than Franklin separate from Rosemary," Sease said.

Alexander maintains that the West End should stretch from Cameron Avenue to Crook's Corner Cafe & Bar and Rosemary Street.

One long-term goal of the collaborative is to create a proposal for a small-area plan to present to the town. Cooperation with the downtown partnership will serve to push a plan through.

The key plan for the collaborative is to be a voice for the West End and to maintain the identity of the area. By allying, they can represent the needs of the area rather than those of individuals, group founders said.

At the same time, another group already is lobbying for immediate improvements.

Fourteen business owners have formed an informal group called the West End Merchants to protect and promote West End business. Robert Poitras, owner of the Carolina Brewery, has been organizing and hosting meetings for about a year.

"We want to encourage out-of-town (people) and Chapel Hill locals to consider West End the place to hang out," said Bret Jennings, owner of Elaine's on Franklin.

The West End stands apart from the East End in type and quality of business, Jennings said.

The merchants recently have been planning OktoberWest, a block party Oct. 15 that will give businesses an opportunity to advertise their wares, including live music, food, beer and wine.

The group is working to overcome major obstacles, such as limited parking in the West End and numerous campus dining options, which reduce the area's student clientele.

Jennings also complained of town parking changes.

"(We are lobbying against) parking obstacles; we've had no help at all from the town," he said. "They are placing more meters, charging later in the evening, doing away with parking areas and free spaces."

Poitras said the two groups can work together and complement each other. "(The merchants) are here and now, collaborative is the future. We are functioning together."