Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Police log

An explosion to an electrical transformer occurred in Kenan Labs on Sunday, causing $5,000 in damage, according to police reports.

UNC police and the Chapel Hill Fire Department responded to the scene and determined that a transformer had suffered some type of explosion causing the building to lose power momentarily, reports state. Authorities also found there was a steam leak in the basement of the building, according to reports.

Further investigation is being conducted, but no other damages have been reported, reports state.

Two people were arrested Saturday in Odum Village on felony charges of larceny of an electric golf cart, according to police reports.

Lee Stewart, 19, of Apex, and Chad Hesseltine, 19 ,of Morrisville, were charged with stealing the electric golf cart, valued at $1,500, from UNC Hospitals and also were issued trespass warnings, reports state.

UNC Hospitals police reported to UNC Department of Public Safety that two white males were seen riding from the hospital premises in the EZGO. The golf cart in question later was seen heading in the direction of the parking area near the Department of Public Safety building, reports state.

After searching the area, Chapel Hill police located the vehicle in the S-1 Parking lot, adjacent to the DPS building, according to reports. The golf cart appeared to be undamaged and was returned to UNC Hospitals, reports state.

The suspects appeared Monday in the District Court of Orange County in Hillsborough. The case has been declared closed-cleared by arrest.

A Lowe's Home Improvement employee was arrested Friday for larceny and fraud, according to Chapel Hill police reports.

Tierra Denny, 19, of 465 Brittany Lane, was arrested at 3:36 p.m. at 1801 Chapel Hill Blvd. on misdemeanor charges of larceny and larceny by employee and a felony charge of using fraud to obtain property, reports states.

According to police reports, Denny was arrested after a Lowe's loss-prevention investigation revealed that she had embezzled and stolen from her employer and customers.

Denny was terminated from Lowe's, reports state.

According to reports, she was placed under a secured bond of $15,000 and held at Orange County Jail. Denny was scheduled to make a first appearance in district criminal court Monday, reports state.