Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Regions farmer's face drought

Online exclusive

The recent resurgence of umbrellas on campus signal the return of much-needed rain to the area.

And the area needed it, especially farmers.

But the brief reprieve from the drought does not eliminate the situation faced by farmers in North Carolina, said Doug Hicks, an agricultural statistician at the N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. He said the area would need at least an inch of rain each week for it to be truly beneficial to crops.

George Rogers, an environmental coordinator for the city of Raleigh's Public Utilities Department, said the rain doesn't change the long-term situation.

"Rain has cut down on irrigation demands," he said. "We are still asking people to voluntarily conserve water."

At this time, he said the city is not planning to implement formal water restriction policy changes.

Rogers said the public utilities department uses a 30-day rolling average formula, which, by dividing the gallons of water available by the gallons used per day, produces the water amount available until the end of the year.

Soybeans are suffering most from the drought, with only 34 percent of the crops in good condition, falling short of the farmers' 50 percent aim, Hicks said.

Few farmers are able to irrigate soybeans, adding to the severity of the situation.

The soybeans need to be harvested at this time, Hicks said, as a potentially early frost could pose an additional threat.

But cotton is prepared to be harvested and was not affected drastically by the lack of rain in the area. Still, farmers predict a 100-pound decline in the amount of cotton available, Hicks said. Only 800 pounds will be on hand this year.

A news release from the Orange Water and Sewage Authority on Oct. 3 reported that lakes in Chapel Hill and Carrboro are only 68 percent full, and year-round water conservation requirements remain in effect.

Greg Feller, public affairs spokesman at OWASA, said there is no need for serious worry.

The success of OWASA's policies could be a result of the board's April 2005 conservation goals and objectives, which include targets for limiting the growth of average and peak daily water demand.

"For this time of year, with our lakes about two-thirds full, we have adequate water supply," Feller said. "There is no need for additional restrictions as long as we get the usual winter rain."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.