Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Service group pleads for fees

Questions arise about $4 hike

The APPLES Service Learning Program had the full attention of the student fee audit committee Monday night when the other two presenters failed to show up.

APPLES requested a $4 increase in student fees to support new programs and replace lost funding.

The representatives for the transit fee and child care fee were on the agenda but did not attend.

The proposed $9 transit fee increase and the 30-cent child care fee will be addressed at the Oct. 28 meeting, committee leaders said.

APPLES, which is designed to enhance students' learning experience and promote diversity through service, is seeing an increase in student demand for its programs, said APPLES treasurer Erik Helgesen.

In response, it plans to create three more international programs, offer more break trips and create a research service learning program that would allow students to be paid to work for nonprofit organizations.

This is the first time APPLES has turned to the committee since the 2000-01 school year.

Already, APPLES cut internship funding and executive learning weekend trips and began charging for its Service-Learning Initiative for first-year students, Helgesen said.

One of the program's main supporters, the Ueltschi family, is pulling its $25,000 grant. Jenny Hug, APPLES director, said the move could be because the family prefers to get programs rolling and then pass them off to the University to continue their development.

APPLES has received a grant from the state government, but leaders said it cannot count on this money as a sustainable source and needs to ensure stable funding as the program continues to grow.

"The major theme that we're seeing in the future is the huge increase in demand," said Janaka Lagoo, APPLES president.

Applications are increasing and students are beginning to be turned away from programs because APPLES can only afford to fund a small portion of the applicants.

APPLES leaders approached the Office of the Provost and the Greek system for funding before turning to student fees, but both had other priorities, Helgesen said.

APPLES members said they expect their program to become a requirement for UNC students in the future through study abroad, research or internships.

Some committee members said that if APPLES becomes a requirement, the funding should come from tuition instead of student fees.

"If they're going to have a new requirement - shouldn't the University be supporting them more?" said Daneen Furr, student body treasurer.

APPLES leaders said they will use the fee to help students with unpaid internships. But some members of the committee questioned how an off-campus internship would contribute to the University.

In response, Hug emphasized APPLES focus on enhancing students' involvement at UNC.

"If we get this increase we're going to look really hard at reaching as many students as we can," she said.

The meeting was the first to show disagreement among committee members. Furr said she will discuss the conflict Friday during a meeting of the chancellor's committee on student fees.