Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

State prepares for new medicare drug plan

Online exclusive

Medicare's newly added Part D, which will offer prescription drug plans, could mean bumpy changes in upcoming months for needy seniors as well as state officials.

According to the Seniors' Health Insurance Information Program at the N.C. Department of Insurance, registration for a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan is available for all Medicare beneficiaries and is optional.

Private insurance companies approved by Medicare will sell the PDPs at monthly premiums.

Fred Eckel, executive director of the N.C. Association of Pharmacists, said the government has added Part D to Medicare in light of rising prescription drug costs.

"When Medicare was started 40 years ago, drugs were a small part of health care," he said. "It was never included as a coverage area. More recently, drug costs have become the biggest out-of-pocket costs for most people who don't have health insurance."

But the addition could cause problems for low-income seniors whose drug costs were formerly covered by Medicaid.

"People who are dually eligible - meaning that they are in both Medicaid and Medicare - they're going to be switched to Medicare coverage only," said Marisa Domino, professor in the UNC Department of Health Policy and Administration. "Medicare is going to be a lot less generous to these people than Medicaid would have been."

Whereas Medicaid is required by law to cover the costs of any drug, the selected insurance companies under Medicare Part D will have a "formulary," allowing them to choose the drugs they cover, Eckel said.

"The drug plan will negotiate between manufacturers to find the cheapest (drug), which reduces the total amount of drugs available for reimbursement," Domino said.

Meanwhile, as the sign-up period for Medicare PDPs draws nearer, health care authorities across the state are struggling to keep seniors afloat in a veritable sea of information.

Seniors can register starting Nov. 15, and coverage for the plans begins Jan. 1, 2006.

In North Carolina, they will choose between 16 approved insurance companies and a total of 38 different plans ranging in cost from $20 to $68 a month.

"We're definitely trying to prepare our seniors," said Kristin Runger, spokeswoman for the N.C. Department of Insurance. "This is a very confusing change."

She said the Seniors' Health Insurance Information Program has volunteers available across the state.

"We've expanded our 800 number to have several new lines, and we've also hired specialists to handle the influx of calls we've gotten in the past couple weeks," she said.

"We're doing everything we can at this point."

Eckel said the N.C. Association of Pharmacists also is trying to help.

"We're in alliance with the Medical Society; we'll have sign-up booths at the State Fair," he said. "We're trying to be part of the community that will be available to make the decision."

Still, Eckel said he worries that with so little time to absorb so much information, some seniors - especially the more vulnerable "dual eligibles" - might feel overwhelmed.

"If a program becomes too confusing and some people just quit taking their drugs, there is a concern about somebody falling through the cracks."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.