Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Dean search narrowed to 3

Candidates boast colorful resumes

As the journalism industry hurdles into a new age of technology, UNC's School of Journalism and Mass Communication has come one step closer to finding a leader to guide it at the front of the pack.

The journalism dean selection committee has narrowed its search to three candidates, all of whom have held administrative positions at other journalism schools.

Laurence Alexander, former chairman of the journalism department at the University of Florida; Jean Folkerts, former director of the School of Media and Public Affairs at George Washington University; and Charles Self, former journalism dean at the University of Oklahoma, will come to UNC to interview for the position in the coming weeks.

The school was left without a leader when Richard Cole stepped down from the post June 30 after serving for 26 years.

The search for a dean was elongated in March when Gerald Baldasty, chairman of the communications department at the University of Washington, rejected the job offer.

Journalism professor Chris Roush, a member of the selection committee, said any of the three candidates would excel at the post.

"They all are pretty well-known in their respective fields," Roush said. "I think all three of them are well qualified."

Jean Folkerts, who will interview on campus from Jan. 22 to Jan. 24, said she was drawn to UNC for its reputation for academic excellence.

"The University of North Carolina is a premier institution," she said. "The School of Journalism and Mass Communication is also considered a premier institution. Some often call it the best."

Folkerts also has served as interim dean of Columbian College of Arts and Sciences and associate vice president of special academic initiatives at George Washington.

She said her varied administrative positions would help her emphasize relationships between UNC's different disciplines.

"I think it's very important for schools of journalism and mass communication to be part of the whole university," Folkerts said.

"I understand how different schools and departments work together to accomplish the mission of a university."

Alexander, who will interview at UNC from Jan. 25 to Jan. 27, has taught courses in mass media law and newspaper editing since going to the University of Florida in 1991.

He also has taught at Temple University and the University of New Orleans. He was named the Freedom Forum National Journalism Teacher of the Year in 2002.

Alexander could not be reached for comment by press time.

Self, who will interview at UNC from Jan. 31 to Feb. 2, said the University's journalism school's constant evolution of journalism education attracted him to the program.

"I can see a number of changes sweeping the industry and sweeping society," Self said.

"It's a really exciting time in the industry," he said.

"The University of North Carolina could lead the nation in creating a model of journalism education in the 21st century."

His resume includes serving as leader of the journalism departments at the University of Alabama and at Texas A&M University.