Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Election laws under scrutiny

Congress to hold special session today

Controversy surrounding recent student government special elections has caught the attention of Student Congress, which will convene tonight in a special session to review campus election law.

The special session, which was called for last semester by Speaker Luke Farley, will be devoted to reviewing amendments to Title VI, the election section of the Student Code.

In response to voting irregularities in an October special election to fill empty seats in Congress, many student leaders said they became aware of shortcomings within the Code.

Congress representatives say they hope the session will rectify Title VI before next week's kickoff of general student elections, which will be held Feb. 14.

"What we're hoping to do is to fix the problems we saw and attack issues that deal with the integrity of our elections," Farley said.

"From my perspective there's a lot wrong with the Code that needs to be dealt with before you consider anything else."

One bill being considered mandates that the UNC Board of Elections provide paper ballots as an alternative to online polling - which is a response to problems with Student Central during the October election.

The bill also outlines the election board's role in publicizing elections and election information.

"We are going to make sure the changes won't be so large that the BOE can't be prepared in time," said Speaker Pro Tem Kris Gould.

Support for legislation aimed at raising the standards in student elections is widespread in Congress.

But the proposed legislation goes beyond simple clerical and procedural revisions of the Code, and dissenting opinions on the changes likely will be heard during the session.

One potentially controversial bill would alter student campaigns by allowing student groups to spend congressionally allocated money on endorsing candidates.

"I don't see the purpose, and I think it may negatively affect smaller organizations that don't have the ability to get what they need," said Rep. Blakely Whilden, chairwoman of Congress' ethics committee.

She said she is concerned that smaller groups might not have the manpower to advocate for elections money before Congress.

Rep. James Riley authored an alternative eight-page revision of Title VI in its entirety, which has been allocated a full hour of debate at the special session.

Farley said he probably will recommend Riley's bill be sent back to committee, where it would be considered in more detail.