Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Police log

A UNC student reported her IBM laptop missing Monday, according to University police reports.

The student had possession of her laptop while in Lenoir Hall on Dec. 13. She did not realize the laptop was missing until she arrived at her residence hall, reports state.

The laptop was valued at $500. University police still are investigating, according to reports.

Vandalism to Stacy Residence Hall was reported Tuesday, according to University police reports.

When an officer responded to a fire alarm, she discovered the top of the interior door of the second floor hallway had been damaged, reports state. This prevented the door from closing, and the alarm next to the door had been pulled. The estimated damage to the door was $150, according to reports.

The investigation is ongoing, reports state.

A UNC student was cited Tuesday for underage possession of alcohol, reports state.

Two officers responded to a public drunkenness complaint from Connor Residence Hall. The resident was escorted to his room, where a case of beer was visible from the doorway, according to reports.

The student was given a citation by officers with the community director present, reports state.

An attempted strong-arm robbery was reported at 7:05 a.m. Tuesday at Plaza Dry Cleaners, 111 S. Elliot Road, Chapel Hill police reports state.

Police spokeswoman Jane Cousins said a man entered the building demanding money and went behind the counter. She said the woman working at the counter called for help, and the man ran out the door, according to reports.

The Birkenstock Comfortable Shoes store, 1800 E. Franklin St., was the victim of a forced breaking and entering, Chapel Hill police reports state.

According to reports, a suspect threw a rock through the window and took the store's cash drawer. Damages to the property were valued at $500, reports state.

The incident is under further investigation.