Monday, Sept. 30, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC sees first signs of change

Wachovia deal to result in millions

Nov. 23 - Virtually untouched since its 1986 opening, the Smith Center soon will sport the signs of corporate sponsorship.

UNC and Wachovia Corp. have entered into an eight-year partnership that will foster on-site sponsorship in UNC athletic facilities, corporate and University officials announced Tuesday.

The agreement also will serve as an extension to the 2003 agreement to have Wachovia be the official financial services sponsor for the Department of Athletics.

Director of Athletics Dick Baddour said Wachovia's strong reputation and long-standing relationship with North Carolinians and the University served as the company's most appealing draw.

"It just seems like a natural for us," Baddour said.

The funding - which will begin this academic year as a $1 million installment and will total more than $9.1 million by 2013 - will go toward improving UNC's Olympic sports facilities and to programs such as sports medicine and student-athlete services.

Now, as it strives to maintain its facilities, the athletic department is financially stretched, said Martina Ballen, senior associate athletic director for business and finance.

"We have a lot of facilities, and it is not cheap to maintain these facilities, much less to renovate or improve them," Ballen said. "So what this additional amount does is it allows us to do all those things that have always been on the list."

But the introduction of corporate signs means that internal improvements must give way to corporate stipulations.

A 6-foot by 8-foot permanent display on two video boards located above the upper-level seating in the Smith Center will be added. Also, a display will appear on the courtside scoreboard.

The contract does not call for logos on the court or benches.

"There will be no cluttered signage," Baddour said. "What we do is going to be very tasteful."

Electronic advertisements for Wachovia will continue in Kenan Stadium while new advertisements will appear in Boshamer Stadium, Carmichael Auditorium and Fetzer Field.

Dan Fleishman, director of sponsorships and alliances for Wachovia, said the elite status of UNC academics and athletics is why the company elected to enhance its partnership with the University.

Baddour said the idea that the signage would taint UNC athletics is overblown.

"I don't see this as having any impact on the game and the experience of our fans," he said.

But he said, "I think the important thing is we accept this notion that this is a change in culture."