Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

The art of tailgating

- Charcoal grill. Nothing smells more like football than the heat and smoke of a charcoal grill firing up some bratwursts burgers or even steak.

Some folks like to do it bigger with a full-out barbecue but a grill is essential regardless.

The best part is that even if you don't bring any meat people will throw their own hot dogs or burgers on there. And the owner always gets to eat what's cooked on his grill.

- Dip. Look everybody brings chips. That's day one stuff for tailgating. But what people don't always bring is a good dip.

It could be salsa. It could be crab. It could even be artichoke if it's manly enough.

But most importantly a good dip will make everything seem a little tastier. If you doubt me then bring a big tub of salsa to the next tailgate and see how much faster your chips get eaten.

- Truck. Find one of your buddies that has a truck or at least an SUV. Yeah they're gas-guzzlers but you're just going to be sitting there anyway.

It's football and my experience is that no one likes to tailgate off the back of a Taurus.

More importantly you need a big bed or trunk to bring all of the eating equipment body paint and a tiny TV to watch the pregame show.

- Team jersey. Even if you aren't all that into the team you're watching you'll blend into the crowd if either you or one of your tailgating crew has a team jersey on.

One jersey immediately makes the rest of the group seem cooler. Experts differ as to why this is.

But bonus points if your group's jersey-wearer also happens to be a cute girl.

- Jams. Gotta have some get-pumped-up music.

The Daily Tar Heel recommends the Space Jam soundtrack because there's no better collection of stimulating beats.

- Powell Latimer

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Football Preview Edition