Sunday, Sept. 8, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Nearly two months ago Connecticut's Jerome Dyson suffered a torn lateral meniscus in his right knee in a game against Syracuse.

The injury required surgery and ended Dyson's season — and it could have stopped UConn.'s chances of winning a title as well.

But the loss of Dyson a junior guard who was averaging double-digit scoring and led the team in steals was softened by UConn.'s deep roster.

And out of the three No. 1 seeds to come from the Big East only the Huskies are still alive.

Without Dyson sophomore forward Stanley Robinson moved into the starting lineup.

He's averaged eight rebounds and more than 12 points per game since Dyson's Feb 11 injury while senior guard A.J. Price has also taken on a larger share of the Huskies' scoring.

Altogether" the Huskies have had four different players lead them in scoring in four NCAA Tournament games so far.

""We need to be — not the same team — but as good a team. And I think we're as good a team as we were when we had Jerome"" UConn. coach Jim Calhoun said. Lot of things have changed.""

""Most importantly" these kids stayed with it. And that is the thing that's made it really really special.  They stayed with a situation that was very" very difficult. They've stayed incredibly focused.""

The Huskies are 8-3 since Dyson's injury" with a quality win against Marquette but two losses to Pittsburgh and a six-overtime loss to Syracuse in the Big East Tournament.

They have yet to prove they can beat a top team without Dyson but they were as dominant as anyone in the opening four rounds of the NCAA Tournament.

The foundation for that dominance has been UConn.'s defense. Their anchor? Seven-foot 3-inch junior Hasheem Thabeet in the low post who averages 4.3 blocks per game.

And while Thabeet gets most of the attention the roster is full of experienced defenders. Only two underclassmen are in UConn.'s eight-man rotation and the squad starts three seniors.

The run-and-shoot Missouri Tigers found out about the Huskies' defensive pride early in their Elite Eight matchup. After the Huskies scored on the game's opening possession the Tigers' Zaire Taylor tried to beat them back down the court after a made basket for a wide-open layup.

Robinson was waiting for him and he cleanly slapped the shot off the glass. Two possessions later" Taylor tried it again — and Robinson caught up with him from behind for another block.

""If we're really good on the team defense" that's going to be the key Thabeet said. Every time we go out there and play good defense" we ended up winning the game.""