Friday, Oct. 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Three forwards highlight freshman class

Henson, Wear twins add post depth

UNC freshmen, from left: Dexter Strickland, David Wear, John Henson, Travis Wear and Leslie McDonald. DTH File/Jessey Dearing

The last time North Carolina won a national championship, the Tar Heels were rewarded the following season by dropping completely off the preseason Top 25 Associated Press Poll.

The team did lose 91 percent of its scoring and 184 of 185 games started from the season before. Its top returning scorer, David Noel, averaged only 3.9 points and 2.6 rebounds in the Tar Heels’ championship run in 2005.

Yet UNC was able to surprise America with a run to the second round of the NCAA Tournament behind significant contributions from four freshmen, including one from Poplar Bluff, Mo., who led the team in scoring and rebounding.

UNC’s newcomers will not be primary contributors like Tyler Hansbrough and Bobby Frasor, who started 30 and 31 games respectively as freshmen.

“They’re not expected to come in and win a national championship,” senior forward Deon Thompson said. “So, the pressure on the young guys isn’t that heavy.”

Not that these freshmen won’t play. Williams already has plans to play 6-foot-10 forward John Henson on the perimeter and cause matchup nightmares for opposing coaches. “He is one that we’re definitely looking at, and we’ll start, not start the game, but we’re going to start practice with him on the perimeter,” he said. “But I wouldn’t be surprised for David (Wear) or Travis (Wear), either one, to go out there.”

The Wears and Henson have range that extends beyond the arc. The Wears combine that range with a fundamentally sound face-up game while Henson is often going to the rim in an up-tempo style that defies his frame.

And Williams did not even mention explosive guards Dexter Strickland and Leslie McDonald who both may have the opportunity to spell Marcus Ginyard and Larry Drew II in the backcourt.

The depth of the class is one reason Williams is not the only one anxious to see the freshmen on the court.

“These guys are very talented, and I’m just ready to get these guys in practice and start getting them on the same page as everybody else,”  Ginyard said.  “They’re going to be an exciting bunch to watch and, hopefully, stick together for a long time.”

But Ginyard is not expected to just watch and enjoy the talents of his young teammates. As the oldest player on the team, Ginyard is expected to lead this young team as the Tar Heels defend their title.

And the senior had a fine example to follow on that team in then-senior David Noel.

“David Noel, to this point in my career, is the best leader I’ve ever been around,”  Williams said.

“The freshmen just bought into everything David Noel said. Whatever he said was good. No question, no second thoughts.”

Williams believes Ginyard and Thompson will be up to the challenge even if they are not Noel.

“This is my favorite time of year whether it’s a veteran team or whatever,” Williams said. “As coaches we get to teach and the players get an opportunity to learn, and it’s their classroom and that really is a fun part.”

Whether he will have as much fun as he did with the freshmen in 2006 — only time will tell.