Sunday, Sept. 8, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

A 44-year-old Chapel Hill man was arrested on felony charges of assault by strangulation, kidnapping and second-degree sex offense, as well as a misdemeanor charge of assault on a female at 1:50 p.m. Sunday at 828 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., according to Chapel Hill police reports. Christopher Patrick Smith of 503 N. Estes Drive was arrested on outstanding warrants and taken to the Orange County Jail with no bond, reports state.

Someone threw a brick through a vehicle window at 2:15 p.m. Sunday at Franklin Woods Apartments, according to Chapel Hill police reports. Damage is estimated at $500, reports state.

Somebody took his mother’s car without her permission between 5 p.m. and 5:24 p.m. Sunday, according to Chapel Hill police reports. He later returned the car, reports state.

Someone broke into a home and stole $40 worth of goods and caused $120 worth of damage at 6 p.m. Sunday at 136 Johnson St., according to Chapel Hill police reports. The person stole a $20 metal box, $10 worth of Ritalin and $10 worth of Hydrocodone, reports state.

A 42-year-old Chapel Hill man was served a criminal summons on a charge of having vicious animals at 11:28 a.m. Sunday at 742 S. Merritt Mill Road, according to Chapel Hill police reports. Keillan Alexis Briggs is set to appear in court on April 12, reports state.

Two men were arrested for fighting at 2:14 a.m. Sunday at 132 E. Franklin St., according to Chapel Hill police reports. Carlos Lamar Baldwin, 27, of Snow Camp, and Alan Joseph Moore, 24, of Sanford, were taken to the police department and released under written promises to appear in court, reports state.

Somebody threw a ceramic duck through a window between 9 p.m. Friday and 10:43 a.m. Saturday at 306 Estes Drive, according to Carrboro police reports.