Thursday, Oct. 17, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Shegog helps Tar Heels top Presbyterian

In its 61–38 win against Presbyterian on Tuesday night, the No. 16 North Carolina women’s basketball team needed its seniors to produce.

And She’la White, Laura Broomfield and Chay Shegog didn’t disappoint, combining to score 43 of the team’s 61 points.

“That’s what they’re supposed to do,” UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell said. “They’re our seniors, they’ve got the most experience and they have to be the leaders. How they go is how the rest of the team goes.”

Shegog was simply too much for the Blue Hose to handle around the basket, and she tallied 10 rebounds and a season-high 23 points. Shegog was double-teamed all game long but had three inches on Presbyterian’s tallest player.

“She’s not only big but she’s got tremendous touch for her size,” Presbyterian head coach Ronny Fisher said. “And when she gets a rebound, she finishes.”

Shegog wasn’t alone in the paint — Broomfield had 10 points and nine rebounds of her own — but Hatchell said the hard work she’s put in over her Tar Heel career has paid off this season.

“She’s really worked hard,” Hatchell said. “She’s gotten better and better and I think without a doubt she’s one of the best big girls in the country.”

Everything didn’t go well for UNC, though. The Tar Heels lost guard Latifah Coleman in the game’s fourth minute when she went down with a knee injury.

A less serious injury occurred about five minutes into the second half. White went down hard and was slow to get up, holding her left elbow once she finally did.

After a UNC timeout White stayed in the game, and it seemed like er elbow was just fine, as she drilled a 3-pointer from the right corner on the Tar Heels’ first possession.

“Sometimes when that stuff happens they get mad and more fired up and more determined and they go out there and take it to a higher level,” Hatchell said.

North Carolina also struggled a bit to score Tuesday night, failing to top the 90-point mark for the first time this season.

The Tar Heels shot only 38 percent from the floor and went a disappointing 13 for 34 in the paint, but Shegog said those issues will be resolved as the team gets more time to play togeth er.

“We’re still coming together as a team but I think we’re coming together well,” Shegog said. “We know where everyone’s going to be.”