Friday, Oct. 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

North Carolina, Wake Forest tie in double overtime

UNC's second ACC game ends in a 0-0 tie.

13640_srh_1947f.jpg
UNC Senior Scott Goodwin (1) makes a save against Wake Forest in Carolina's 0-0 draw on September 14th, 2012 at Fetzer Field in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

After 110 minutes of play, North Carolina and Wake Forest walked off the field with the score no different than when the game began, drawing 0-0.

Though the top-ranked Tar Heels, fresh off a defeat at the hands of unranked James Madison, failed to score, coach Carlos Somoano felt his was more in control against No. 15 Wake Forest (3-1-2).

“We were significantly more aggressive than we played against James Madison,” Somoano said.

The Tar Heels (4-1-1) had several good looks at the goal amongst their 10 shots.

Redshirt senior Jordan Gafa had a chance in the 51st minute with WFU goalkeeper Michael Lisch out of position, but Gafa chipped the ball over the crossbar.

In the 65th minute sophomore Mikey Lopez took possession of the ball in the 18-yard box after a careless play from a Wake Forest defender, but the by the time he gained possession, the angle was in goalkeeper Lisch’s favor, and he recorded the save.

Somoano was impressed with the level of play, despite the lack of scoring.

“People can say whatever they want about not executing plays to score a goal here or there. We tried, they tried. That was a high quality game right there, Somoano said. “That’s going to be at the top of the list in terms of quality soccer games at the end of the season.”