Saturday, Sept. 7, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Ed Harrison: Candidate for Chapel Hill Town Council

Harrison is a three-term incumbent

With less than a week until Election Day, The Daily Tar Heel spoke with the Chapel Hill Town Council candidates to discuss major issues facing the council. Election Day is Nov. 5.

Harrison emailed his comments to The Daily Tar Heel.

Candidate Name: Ed Harrison

Age: 62

Daily Tar Heel: What is the biggest issue facing the town of Chapel Hill?

Harrison: As a community, having our residents accept enough land use change and development to ensure a steady stream of revenues for an increasingly expensive local government, in the form of both property tax and sales tax. As of the June 2013 budget, the town manager had cut as much as he could without removing all possibility for employee raises and without cutting back transit service, to cite a couple of needs important to me. (Cutting transit service actually loses us federal and state funding.) As someone who votes against development applications for good reasons every so often, I am sympathetic to the arguments of folks who are concerned about growth pushing too hard into where they have lived for a long time, as my household has had the same experience.

DTH: Last month, Wake County reached out to outside experts for help with transit woes, essentially ignoring TTA’s plans for a light rail that connects Orange, Wake and Durham counties. Does this change your opinion on the light rail project? Do you think this project is viable without Wake’s support?

Harrison: As a four-year member of the Triangle Transit Board of Trustees, and now vice chair, I’ve played a significant role in the agency’s Regional Transit Program, which actually consists of three different rail projects.

Only one of them, the Durham-Orange Light Rail Transit project, involves Chapel Hill, and it is not affected by the recent actions of the current Wake Board of Commissioners, controlled by Republicans and allied to many of that party’s leaders in the current General Assembly.

Planning for (1) the Regional Commuter Rail project to connect southeastern Wake with the RTP and with Central Durham, and (2) the Cary to North Raleigh Light Rail project, continue to be affected by this anti-transit mood of the current Wake Commissioners.

So, no, this does not change my opinion on the Durham-Orange Light Rail project. Along with the entire Triangle Transit Board and a large majority of Chapel Hill and Durham elected officials, I believe that this project connecting our cities and our universities is viable.

DTH: As an incumbent, how long have you served and what do you believe are your best achievements?

Harrison: I’ve served three terms, total twelve years, the last two as Mayor Pro Tem.

My best achievements include: (1) excellent constituent service, being generally recognized as the most accessible current Council Member, the one most likely to respond to a contact; (2) persistence, in an era of declining state funding, in getting important non-auto transportation projects built and a small number of other projects changed to be less damaging to our neighborhoods and environment; (3) being a leader in creating new environmental rules and programs (most notably in the area of stormwater management) and in protecting open space; (4) after the making of the Carolina North Development Agreement (DA) with UNC, being the first Council member to push successfully for using DAs for large private developments.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Football Preview Edition