Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Op-ed: Undocumented youth face many challenges

While undocumented youth in the U.S. face many unique challenges, education and mental health are issues of utmost importance.

The United Nations has declared education a fundamental human right. However, this right is not guaranteed in the U.S. The increasing price of universities (and lack of true public universities) makes higher education an extremely exclusive opportunity. In fact, the U.S. has various legislative barriers that make higher education virtually impossible for undocumented immigrants.

One of these barriers is the requirement for undocumented students to pay “out-of-state” tuition fees to attend public universities. In all but 18 states, undocumented students must pay these higher rates, which can be up to three times the cost for “in-state” students.

Additionally, undocumented immigrants are ineligible to apply for state, private and federal loans and are often denied scholarships due to their irregular status. The inaccessibility of financial aid makes it extremely difficult for undocumented students to continue on to higher education.

Mental health is another factor that is deeply affected by the vulnerability of young migrants to racism, xenophobia and discrimination. Unfortunately, racial profiling, random searches, deportation threats, home raids and other traumatic events are common experiences among immigrants.

These experiences, compounded with the tendency for migrants to live in lower socio-economic conditions, create an environment of stress that can cause severe mental and emotional repercussions.

Finally, the lack of financial resources and the inability to apply for health insurance makes the process of seeking help much more difficult for undocumented youth. These circumstances all contribute to poor mental health and increase the risk of chronic health effects.

Education and mental health are two priorities, though it is clear that undocumented youth face many unique issues that require solutions.

President Barack Obama took executive action on June 15, 2012 to create Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, DACA. In addition, DACA granted some undocumented immigrants the possibility to apply for an official driver’s license, a work permit and other public benefits. While DACA has provided many opportunities for undocumented youth, it still leaves them in a vulnerable situation, as it does not truly regularize their status. Additionally, DACA must be renewed every two years, and is dependent on a set of strict conditions that can be difficult to meet for many immigrants.

Although many consider DACA a step in the right direction, it is unclear whether or not this program will continue with the result of the 2016 presidential election. The election of Donald Trump may put in jeopardy programs such as DACA, which he has promised to repeal upon his election.

The U.S. elections have also caused a resurgence of racism, xenophobia and discrimination in popular rhetoric. Unfortunately, these realities will have detrimental consequences for young migrants in the U.S.

Moving forward, state governance will be deeply important. States have a significant amount of autonomy, which can be implemented to provide legislation that protects and benefits young migrants. California has created tuition equity laws, which guarantee in-state tuition benefits to everyone who graduates from an in-state high school regardless of citizenship status. California also passed universal eligibility for financial aid, loans and funding opportunities so there are very few barriers that inhibit undocumented youth from pursuing higher education.

Improving mental health among undocumented youth is certainly a more complicated task. Universities and community centers have begun creating educational programs called “UndocuAlly Trainings.” These programs are meant to teach allyship to individuals who may be working closely or interacting with undocumented youth. These trainings provide a greater support network for undocumented youth, which is currently inadequate.

The challenges undocumented youth face in education and mental health are not unique to the United States, but rather point to a global phenomenon. There must be a stronger international effort to recognize the vulnerability of youth on the move, whether that be in origin, transit or destination countries.

In this pivotal time, it is necessary to rethink approaches and transform discussion into impactful action. This forum could not have come at a more pivotal moment of political transition in many important countries, which may set a new trajectory for international migration policies.

Kristen Gardner

Junior

Global studies and political science

For inquiries about writing guest op-eds, email:

opinion@dailytarheel.com